Fram tractor hydraulic fluid?

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #31  
All we know is what is claimed. We don't know if the claims are factual. There is no independent testing of hydraulic oils.
I've sent an email to pqia to see if they would consider testing UTTO being as there are quite a few consumers with scut and cut tractors now. Would be great if they did.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #32  
I had no idea HD sold automotive batteries.
I didnt either until the local stores started wanting $180 - $280 for a battery.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #33  
I went to AA the other day and FRAM is on the roll - grease, oil, you name it. But I still remember their flimsy filters and will never buy anything FRAM.

That said, for my old Honda motorcycles Autozone sells filters in STP boxes but the filter itself has FRAM printed on it.

Last edited:
   / Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #34  
   / Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #35  
OK but how is that determined? I mean specs are for sure set as minimums, but it could be that mobil 424 meets the minimum and tsc exceeds it. We have know way of knowing so it's all just marketing at this point. I'm not making a case for either fluid, I'm just saying that proclaiming one oil is a better "j20c" oil because it's name brand is purely conjecture. All we know is both oils meet j20c and that is it, so on paper they are both equal. Without real lab data we are left to guess or form opinions based on loyalty and marketing.
Figure it like this. Two men are armed with guns. If the spec or criteria is "come armed", then both meet the CA'd spec.
One guy is carrying a .357 mag and the other a 22 pistol.
Additives are like that too. Is there a mark up for branded oil? Absolutely.
But the difference in price for say fluid from Warren Oil (which is alleged to be used by Mahindra) and oil directly from Warren, isn't that much for me to warrant chasing down where Warren oil is. Add shipping to that to get it to your place, not much of a difference.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #36  
Like everything, stuff is built to a budget. Also a lot of stuff is built by someone else who will put what ever name you want on it. Fram realized that more people care about the price than how well the filter was made so they came up with the cheapest way to make a filter for them. I'm sure Fram doesn't make their own oil or grease so unless it's tested trying to state how good or bad it is would be pointless. In fact I could see a company like Warren making oil for a company like Fran and just making one large batch that was better than they agreed to make for Fram simply because it was cheaper that making multiple batches of different specs for each customer. After all the oil is most likely the same and it's the additives that make the difference. If so testing would also could potentially be pointless as there could be differences between batches (most likely the contract just says must meet XYZ standard or better).

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #37  
Figure it like this. Two men are armed with guns. If the spec or criteria is "come armed", then both meet the CA'd spec.
One guy is carrying a .357 mag and the other a 22 pistol.
Additives are like that too. Is there a mark up for branded oil? Absolutely.
But the difference in price for say fluid from Warren Oil (which is alleged to be used by Mahindra) and oil directly from Warren, isn't that much for me to warrant chasing down where Warren oil is. Add shipping to that to get it to your place, not much of a difference.
My point is you don't know what man came armed with the 22 and which one came armed with the 357 without looking (data) at this point you just know they both are armed (j20c) :)

If the Mahindra oil is truly from Warren oil I'm not sure where you can get the off label stuff. If it's from WPP (warren performance packaging) it's likely the same as Supertech, Traveller, Kirkland, Mag1, Peak. I think Warren oil is coastal. This is off the top of my head so I may have mixed them up as that is very easy to do.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #39  
My point is you don't know what man came armed with the 22 and which one came armed with the 357 without looking (data) at this point you just know they both are armed (j20c) :)

It's the guy who asks you to pay for his lunch because he has no money left after his .357 purchase.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #40  
It's the guy who asks you to pay for his lunch because he has no money left after his .357 purchase.
Ain't that the truth