Fram tractor hydraulic fluid?

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #41  
OK but how is that determined?
By a VOA, additives and base oil separate the men from the boys.

Not all additives and base oils are created equal

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #42  
By a VOA, additives and base oil separate the men from the boys.

Not all additives and base oils are created equal
VOA cannot tell the whole picture. Non metallic additives for example do not show up in a VOA. VOA also will not tell you the group number of the base, etc.

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #43  
VOA cannot tell the whole picture. Non metallic additives for example do not show up in a VOA. VOA also will not tell you the group number of the base, etc.
I no all that, I do them all the time, it'll give you the additives that matter, anti wear anti corrosion etc..

/ Fram tractor hydraulic fluid? #44  
Oil specs define minimum qualification requirements. Not all oils are created equally, though.

In engine oils, our fuels and lube staff engineer used the term “fighting grade” to define those products that passed with a minimum margin. ARCO products were one where that term was used, but, this was in excess of fifteen years ago.

In general, though, products distributed by the majors as premium products have consistently large margins. This would include Shell, Mobil, chevron, and a few more.

I would be wary of trusting a small distributor selling under multiple brands, simply because a lot of their sales are driven by cost and advertising, and the consumer has no access to unbiased data. Having said that, our factory fill was, for years, produced by a small refiner, and was of extremely high quality, with a state of the art additive package.

Qualification data is available to EMA and API members, but it’s not available to the general public. A qualified lubricant enginee with access to the data can easily rank the various lubes. Being private, I don’t think the data can be used to dis the products of other members products.

That’s how I remember it.