Freakin lime!!??!!

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
We got our in '89. It was 1/2 fields and we wanted it to go back to woods! To each his own... :laughing:

Again, IMHO, diversity is good, The more habitat types the better..

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #42  
Yes, I believe that's true. I asked a few questions and they were quick to answer. I asked how long it would last till I had to apply again... Never got an answer or even a response.

I'm guessing its like the old analogy of is it a band aid or a cure..

or if it sounds too good to be true

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
So I got a guy that spread it for $75 a ton, his truck holds 6 tons. I bought 1 truck's worth or almost a ton and acre. Will probably do it again in the spring.

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #44  
Do a small area, In strips. A little of the good stuff brings 'em in just as well as an entire field.

Ditto this...
Additionally, you're not planting for optimal crop harvest, you're planting to attract deer.

I have open fields ranging from 15 acres to 1/2 acre.
About five fields range from the 1/4 acre to three acres.
I plant only those smaller fields for winter deer feeding. Deer like the smaller closed in fields much better, they feel more protected and safe. I also have a couple small strips in the woods about 50-60 yards long by 15-20 yards wide that I plant, and those smaller spots are great for bow hunting, since bow hunting does require a closer shot and this closed in open planted strip is a deer haven.

We lime each year with planting, and I've also limed in the spring. Since we plant in September, by the time Dec-Jan comes around with some good rain, the lime is in the soil and doing it's job.
My process:
Bushhog the fields in August to a close cut.
Bottom plow a ~week later, allow to sit during several rains to soak in moisture deep.
On day of planting, disc harrow to smooth out the deep furrows from the bottom plow.
Spread lime, disc again to turn over the lime.
Spread seed.
Drag hog wire fence with ATV to cover seed.
Pray for rain.

Some years in late December, I've disced a few edges of fields and spread additional rape/turnips/beets since those are long gone by then.

These two images are one week after planting with only a light rain. They don't look like much right now, but we're getting downpours today and tomorrow, so in a week, this place will be lush.
The first is about a half acre planted in a larger two acre opening.
The second is a small strip in the woods surrounded by a creek and abundant acorns.
IMG_20150926_160446.jpg...IMG_20150926_160639.jpg

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #45  
It sounds like you have it handled for this year. Going forward, if you need lime again, I'd suggest investing in dry lime and a drop spreader. That's about the most economical way to get the PH up to where you need it. Something like a used Groundbuster. The units that handle the damp ag lime are overkill for 7 acres. And usually require 65+horsepower. Check Ebay for old topdressers, as they should be able to do the job as well.

A good rule of thumb is that anything that can spread damp sand can handle ag lime.

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #46  
Well, springtime is here and the growing season is on... How's your new honey hole looking?

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #47  
since you had some land cleared, I'm guessing you probably have a burn pile or two. That will raise the ph as well. Burn it up real well and spread the ash.

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
Well, springtime is here and the growing season is on... How's your new honey hole looking?

Not overly great... last year I planted a bunch of it in a warm season grass mix, that's supposed to take a while anyway, next year will be a better indicator of how that's doing.

So on the actual food plot parts I planted mostly a legume mix, I added some corn and other garden seeds to it like I usually do. Planted it right before a three rain event that was forecasted... rain never showed up and we had about a month dry spell and that seed cooked out in my dry sand and after some later rains still didn't come up very well.

Then, just before that rain event I planted a half acre of chuffa, its not doing too bad.:)

So last week just before some well needed rain I over seeded half of the soybean areas with a spring/summer mix of oats, rye,and some other stuff.. we'll see how it does.

Gotta remember this soil here is almost like beach sand and this is the first year it hasn't been woods... I'm going to plant it kind of heavy with some sort of cover, winter wheat or something, that I can disc back in in the spring and build up the soil.

/ Freakin lime!!??!!
since you had some land cleared, I'm guessing you probably have a burn pile or two. That will raise the ph as well. Burn it up real well and spread the ash.

Yes, got a few big piles I do need to do that with.!

/ Freakin lime!!??!! #50  
Not overly great... last year I planted a bunch of it in a warm season grass mix, that's supposed to take a while anyway, next year will be a better indicator of how that's doing.

So on the actual food plot parts I planted mostly a legume mix, I added some corn and other garden seeds to it like I usually do. Planted it right before a three rain event that was forecasted... rain never showed up and we had about a month dry spell and that seed cooked out in my dry sand and after some later rains still didn't come up very well.

Then, just before that rain event I planted a half acre of chuffa, its not doing too bad.:)

So last week just before some well needed rain I over seeded half of the soybean areas with a spring/summer mix of oats, rye,and some other stuff.. we'll see how it does.

Gotta remember this soil here is almost like beach sand and this is the first year it hasn't been woods... I'm going to plant it kind of heavy with some sort of cover, winter wheat or something, that I can disc back in in the spring and build up the soil.

Try to avoid planting any 'ryegrass'. And keep in mind that 'ryegrass' is different than 'rye'. Rye is more of a cereal grain crop, and somewhat similar to wheat. 'Ryegrass' is more of a forage crop and is great for cattle, but has very little nutritional value for deer. And 'ryegrass' will re-seed itself and remain in your food plots for many years.

Planting a legume mix is a really good idea, because the legumes will provide nitrogen (fertilizer) for your grass plants, like your wheat and oats. But, this will only occur when both legumes and grasses are growing in close proximity to each other (a few inches) and at the same time.