Buying Advice Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors?

/ Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Alright guys, I've got a local business that has been selling refurbished "grey market" tractors for the last couple years and I've been looking at them more and more. Right now I have an LS J2023 that I bought new about 3 years ago that has been meeting my needs around my house (6 acres). Sure, there are times when I wished I had a bigger, more powerful, heavier tractor, but who doesn't wish that from time to time? Well last fall I bought what I call a "hunting ranch" property that is 100 acres. Needless to say, my little LS is not nearly up to the task of maintaining that property. It's just not heavy enough and doesn't have the power that I'd like to have. The property is all wooded except for a few acres of cleared trees that I will be using for food plots. Now I know my LS has a traction issue so using ground engaging equipment will be out of the question. I've resigned myself to borrowing my father in law's John Deere 950 2WD, which is at least heavier and 31hp, but I have to drive an hour each way to get it and take it back to him and he uses the tractor too, so I hate to keep it for too long of a span. I mean, I'll do it, but it's not going to be very practical. And I don't have $15K plus to just go out and buy a new tractor. That's why I've been looking at these refurbished tractors locally. Yanmar and Daedong machines which I believe are both mechanically strong units. I've been debating on selling my little LS and using that money plus maybe about $1k more to put toward one of these refurbished machines. I know it seems like I'm "downgrading" by going to an older machine, but I simply can't afford something more "modern" used that will be in the 30-40HP range for a price of say $13K that hasn't just been used and abused and may be a financial money pit.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just keep my J2023 that I bought brand new, only has 200 hours, and has hyrdostatic tranny and just keep borrowing my father in law's tractor when I need to do work on my property? Or would selling my LS and going with a refurbished tractor that is bigger, heavier, and has more power be a better choice?

Here's a link to the website for the local business selling the refurbished tractors: REC TRACTORS - CAPE PORTABLE BUILDINGS & TYM TRACTORS92 S KingshighwayCape Girardeau, MO 6373PH: 573-321-811 The one I'm looking at is the Yanmar FX 305.

Or I know I've read a LOT of great reviews about Frederick's refurbished Yanmar tractors, but their current inventory only has two models that might fit my needs, neither one perfectly. I called and talked to a guy there and he said getting Yanmars in the 35-40HP range was going to be extremely rare. They list a YM 3110 (37hp) 2WD with loader Yanmar Ym 311 2wd (37hp) 14 Koyker Loader, Decatur AL - 11646911 - EquipmentTrader.com and a YM 2420 (29HP) 4WD with loader (Yanmar Ym242d 4x4 (29hp) Loader, Decatur AL - 112747696 - EquipmentTrader.com). The YM 2420 would be very similiar in size to my father in law's 950, except with 4WD, a loader, and power shift. The YM 3110 would be nice to have the additional HP and weight, but I'm not sure about the 2WD thing and how much it would be needed, especially with a loader.

Last edited:
   / Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors? #2  
Re: Fredericks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors?

You didn't say how far away the hunting property was...but my first thought would be to buy an old 8N etc. for a couple of $K and just leave it there...

/ Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors?

You didn't say how far away the hunting property was...but my first thought would be to buy an old 8N etc. for a couple of $K and just leave it there...

My property is about 40 minutes from my house. So an hour drive to get to my father in law's, and hour drive back, and then another 40 minutes to get out to my property. I don't trust leaving something out there full time. Mice in the electrical, vandals, etc. I'd also really prefer a diesel engine over a gasser.

And having something used that has been refurbished, especially by somewhere as reputable as Fredricks, means a lot in terms of peace of mind. I don't tend to have the best track record when it comes to buying used machines and equipment. I think the biggest part of that is because I have ZERO mechanical knowledge, so I can't pick up on things to avoid like most people can. So having that peace of mind that someone more knowledgeable and capable has gone over a machine and replaced or repaired anything worn out means a LOT to a buyer like me. That's why I typically buy brand new when I can, or at least something used that still has factory warranty. But in this case, I can't afford new or very lightly used. Tier 4 has really caused prices to go up, at least in my area. My same little LS tractor is now about $4k to $5k higher than it was when I bought just 3 years ago! And that's on a 23hp machine. I expect prices are even higher on the larger HP machines.

Double post

/ Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors? #5  

My property is about 40 minutes from my house. So an hour drive to get to my father in law's, and hour drive back, and then another 40 minutes to get out to my property. I don't trust leaving something out there full time. Mice in the electrical, vandals, etc. I'd also really prefer a diesel engine over a gasser.

And having something used that has been refurbished, especially by somewhere as reputable as Fredricks, means a lot in terms of peace of mind. I don't tend to have the best track record when it comes to buying used machines and equipment. I think the biggest part of that is because I have ZERO mechanical knowledge, so I can't pick up on things to avoid like most people can. So having that peace of mind that someone more knowledgeable and capable has gone over a machine and replaced or repaired anything worn out means a LOT to a buyer like me. That's why I typically buy brand new when I can, or at least something used that still has factory warranty. But in this case, I can't afford new or very lightly used. Tier 4 has really caused prices to go up, at least in my area. My same little LS tractor is now about $4k to $5k higher than it was when I bought just 3 years ago! And that's on a 23hp machine. I expect prices are even higher on the larger HP machines.

It seems as though what you want, and what you can afford, are a few thousand dollars apart, and will likely remain so.

It seems as though what you want, and what you can afford, are a few thousand dollars apart, and will likely remain so.

What I want is something with a little more HP, a good bit more weight, and a good bit more traction. The refurbished models seem to be the best way to get that without spending a lot more money. That's why I was asking about them.

Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors?

Supposedly Fredricks has a 1yr warranty and their parts network is pretty extensive.

But if I sell my little LS, I'd have about $13k that I could put toward a bigger machine. That's not enough to buy anything new in the 3000lb class. If I buy a second tractor just to use at the hunting property, I'd have about $2500-$3000 buy something. Don't think I can get much for that amount of money.

Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors?

I don't think chains would work. My LS will lose traction just going up a hill without any implement. I keep it in 4wd pretty much nonstop.

/ Fredricks or "Other" Refurbished Tractors? #10  
I don't know about Fredricks but many times refurbish means a 5 gallon overhaul.