Free internet connection????

/ Free internet connection???? #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Well I'm back where I have the most trust in opinions and experience from others.

When we go on vacation I would like to get "on-line" but now I use our local TV cable provider and they don't go where we go.
Had used AT&T but not anymore.

I found this offering http://www.freeinternetconnection.com/ and wonder if anyone has experience with this provider.
Thanks everyone for your input, output, upput and even your downput.:eek: :)

/ Free internet connection???? #2  
Hmm well it says that they are not taking any new subscribers for 60 days. Plus it seems to say that while the service is free you must agree to buy something from some of the sponsors every so often and they do not say what often is. If you are only going to use it for less than 30 days it might work OK. I would check my vaction locations to be sure there is a local number. some states looked a little sparse. Plus they insist on sending you a disk to install the software. for sure run that against a spyware scanner before loading it. I suspect this thing may contain a browser hijacker and or special tool bar. Personaly I would just sign up with AOL or some other nation wide provider fro 30days and cancel when I got home.

/ Free internet connection???? #3  
try being more specific with your question. Are you going on vacation staying in hotels? Hotels will have on-line access. Even if you connect through a different Service provider (the hotel's internet provider) you can still go to your cable company's website and using an Internet Explorer Browser winder access your e-mail, read your e-mail and send out e-mails.

ARe you going on vacation to a second home, a cottage, that you want to temporarily install an internet connection at? Are you traveling by motor home and looking to get a satelight connection.

You might want to check with the Starbucks website because I believe almost all Starbucks have free wireless internet connections. You would then sjut bring along your laptop computer that is wireless enabled. I would think that every library has free internet available for anyone to use.

If you give a bit more detail of your needs I am sure others will join in. Do you have a laptop etc.

/ Free internet connection???? #4  
rox said:
You might want to check with the Starbucks website because I believe almost all Starbucks have free wireless internet connections. You would then sjut bring along your laptop computer that is wireless enabled. I would think that every library has free internet available for anyone to use.

While Starbucks does offer wireless internet connections, they are anything but free, something like $10/day, however, you can't just sign up for one day. What might really work is to sign up for a dial up account for a month, such as AOL, Earthlink, NetZero, etc and just cancel after your trip. It might cost you $20 for the entire month, but that is better than having to pay $10/day. It will be slower, but usable.

If you need something more permanent for "roving access", I would look into the EVDO services from Verizon and/or Sprint, they are about $60/month and you get high speed whereever you have 3G phone service. In Portland, OR, that is pretty much everywhere, when high speed is not available it slows down to 1xRTT (a little faster than dialup), if cell phone service is available.

Hope that helps.

Derek

/ Free internet connection???? #5  
I don't know what kind of computer you have, but assuming it's a laptop with a wireless card, you shouldn't have to search very hard for a free high-speed connection. I was just down in a small town in Central Texas for a week, and everywhere I went there were multiple open-access networks. Cafes, motels, B&B's - they were all free and open.

/ Free internet connection????
I knew I'd get some good comments. Thanks to all. Since you asked, here is a little more details, Last year in Pamama City FL at the condo we rented they said yes we have wireless. I bought a "wireless card?" for my Dell Inspiron 1100 lap top. Pluged everything in and bingo here is wireless hook up screen (Only $35 for a week:eek: ) Wife said go ahead, but I would like to save that $35 in Sept when we plan to return to the same condo. I had thought about trying one of the dial ups for a month and then cancel but was wanting to eliminate that hassel, if I found a suitable solution some other way.
I can go to the lobby and use their computer but I would like to get on line from the condo when I'm just loafing around.:)
I guess I could just go "cold turkey" for the 10 days and TBN would have to wait until we return home. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks again to all.

While I'm here PS to Rox, our granddaughter has and is still having a great time in France, she will be starting home soon, going to spend last three days in Paris.

/ Free internet connection???? #7  
Take a look at Budgetdialup.com They have several plans that work like prepaid phone cards. Use it until your minutes are gone or the time period expires. $10 gets you 120 hours for a 30 day period. They even have a 5 hour free trial.

/ Free internet connection???? #9  
My Internet connection is not free by any means, but it sure works in a lot of places.

I live where even dial-up is virtually non-existent -- our lines are awful, and the "local" providers are all long distance. Forget DSL or cable TV. We'll never see that.

I have a wireless solution through my cell phone provider. Mine is through Cingular, but Verizon and Nextel also have them. Most anywhere I have cell phone coverage, I have Internet. Way out here, I do need an external antenna, like the ones used for cars or RVs. It is $60 a month for unlimited use.

Up here in the mountains, the speed is considerably faster than dial-up, but not quite as fast as DSL. Near the east coast I-95 highway corridor, from the Northeast to the Southeast, the speed goes way up. The high speed function is slowly being expanded to the outer lands that extend more than 40 miles from I-95.

We've happily used it all over the East Coast.

Knute

/ Free internet connection????
They say "Two heads are better than one."
Well ONE TBN head is better than Two dozen off the cuff suggestions.
Thanks all. I plan to call VTrocket when we get to PC and see if I can surf TBN. Heck with the Gulf when TBN is UP.