Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts

/ Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi guys,

The retaining nuts on both sides of my sidelink upper mounts came loose just fine. Threads have some corrosion, but the whole pivot pin appears to be CAD plated. Unfortunately, the inner bushings of the links that the pins go through appear to just be regular and very rusty steel. They are both soaked in PB Blaster now, but I'm not too hopeful. A few careful hits with a ball pein (with the nut threaded partway on) moved NOTHING. Next step heat?

/ Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts #2  
You can try map gas heat. Or you can try getting it under pressure with a clamp of some sort then give it a whack.

/ Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts #3  
If you have time soak them in Kroil for several days. That stuff is amazing and will free up most anything.

gg

/ Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts
What a battle! Fortunately, my automotive tie rod/pittman arm puller just fit. It's a good-quality, very stoutly made item (K-D Tools?), which is a good thing, because with about 100 ft-lb on it, the link pin was not budging. I cannot imagine any way to put more force on this joint! I got the knuckle up to about 300-400 deg with a pinpoint propane torch, and finally got ONE "tink" out of it. Repeat about 50 times and the pin finally came free.

I expected the pin to be very corroded and/or galled, but it doesn't really look that bad. I may just file the galled spots smooth and go back with a good dose of anti-seize and the OEM pins.

IMG_0710 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0711 (756x1024).jpg

IMG_0712 (1024x765).jpg

IMG_0713 (1024x767).jpg

/ Freeing up stuck upper side link mounts #5  
glad you got it without breaking anything.