Freight and shipping cost rising drastically?

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
I'm hearing stories of shipping cost doubling and tripling in the past few weeks. My irrigation supply store said they will not quote a freight cost until the truck is loaded.

Does anyone know how true this is, or what's causing this?

I'm talking about shipping inside the USA. This was happening before the Suez Canal blockage. That is causing lots of international shipping issues too.

I sell equipment that has to be shipped from different parts of the country, and I don't know what to do about quoting shipping cost. A typical unit had been shipping for $1000 to $1200. If that doubles or triples, I'll be out a most of my profit.

Even sand for topdressing is a concern. I'm trying to quote the local school district for 16 loads (about 450 tons) of sand. I normally pay about $14.50 per ton for the sand, and about $15.00 per ton for freight. If that doubles, I'm in trouble. And the school system needs a firm price before they will issue a PO.

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #2  
I'm hearing stories of shipping cost doubling and tripling in the past few weeks. My irrigation supply store said they will not quote a freight cost until the truck is loaded.

I'm talking about shipping inside the USA. This was happening before the Suez Canal blockage. That is causing lots of international shipping issues too.

I sell equipment that has to be shipped from different parts of the country, and I don't know what to do about quoting shipping cost. A typical unit had been shipping for $1000 to $1200. If that doubles or triples, I'll be out a most of my profit.

Even sand for topdressing is a concern. I'm trying to quote the local school district for 16 loads (about 450 tons) of sand. I normally pay about $14.50 per ton for the sand, and about $15.00 per ton for freight. If that doubles, I'm in trouble. And the school system needs a firm price before they will issue a PO.
If it were me, I think I would verify the actual sand cost, add 50% to the shipping cost, and hope for the best, or better yet if possible,.....get a hard shipping quote from the trucker before bidding.

Last edited:
   / Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #3  
The price of fuel is going up so I wouldn't be surprised if shipping, as well as many other things, will also rise.

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #4  
Suez Canal is blocked, slowing US Mail delivery, pizza delivery, etc., and raising their cost.

:)

Bruce

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #5  
As a truck driver, I paid attention to the cost of fuel when my company's daily limit of $500 was reached before the fuel nozzle quit pumping! That happened yesterday!They have that limit set to limit fraud by drivers getting ready to quit. Last time I hit a max limit was back in the 2005-2006 when I had to get over rides for $500, then $800, then $1000 to keep fuel tanks full. (I ran a lot of miles!) With the cost of fuel rising as fast as it is, you also need to consider how far out you will be projecting freight rates. A simple one time adjustment to your rates probably won't work. If you do use a price quote, be sure to look at the fuel adjustment charge!
Inflate the cost to cover your tuss and hope for the best! Don't stick your neck out long term or it will get chopped off!
David from jax

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically?
Fuel prices have gone up and down in the past and freight rates fluctuate with fuel prices. But, fuel has not doubled in price, yet.

And freight cost is not only fuel. Something else is going that is causing freight to double or triple, in addition to fuel prices. I just don't know what it is...

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #7  
And freight cost is not only fuel. Something else is going that is causing freight to double or triple, in addition to fuel prices. I just don't know what it is...
Well with the increase in on-line shopping over the last couple years, shippers have all the business they can handle and then some. Plus everyone else is paying the difference for the barely-break-even contracts the big shippers negotiated.

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #8  
Maybe this?

IMG_1307.JPG

MoKelly

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #9  
That Never Green hadn't barely come to rest and it seems crude oil prices SPIKED!

/ Freight and shipping cost rising drastically? #10  

Lumber and plastics are going up again. Local roofing tin will increase 50 cents a foot because there is a ”paint shortage” at the supplier end. Groceries are trickling up and up. Few people realize what a “small” change in fuel prices cause.
The parking lots and roads are littered with disposable masks, maybe thats a good sign for things to come.