Freshwater Spring Development

/ Freshwater Spring Development #11  
Dave,
From what i under stand you have already started digging at the source. That being the case you should already know what the water level is at this time. ( by the puddle)You can start a little small but leave a stop gap to hold the water. This will help you keep digging dry and only have to dig the wet gap out. Below as you dig are you getting any clay or just top soil?
Food for thought
Phil

/ Freshwater Spring Development #12  
Twenty years ago when I started to develop my 45 acre ranch I developed a spring that appeared to be only a seep by digging into the hillside and placing a perforated 3'' pipe, covered by course gravel and then backfilled. It produced nicely (about 1200 gallons/day) for about 10 years, and then slowed way down. I hired a well driller with a horizontal drilling rig who drilled about 40' into the hillside and inserted a 1.25" perforated pipe and it produces about 2500 gallon/day in late summer, more in the wet season. It gravity feeds to a 2500 gallon tank, and then is pumped uphill to another 2500 gallon tank, which has another pump for pressure to the house etc. It supplies our needs, including a large garden, orchard, and a swimming pool. We are in what the county considers a scarce water area.