Friday, the 13th

/ Friday, the 13th #21  
My Grandfather believed that a black cat crossing your path was bad luck. He said one crossed his path, and right after he hit a chuck hole and broke a spring in his car.

I was going to work one morning (construction job) and a black cat crossed in front of me; didn't think much of it, until on my way home, I got to the same spot, remembered it. That day at work I ran an air tamp across my foot and mashed my big toe.
I was just thinking this thread might be very entertaining if everyone posted a superstition or "belief" they've heard in their lives.

The black cat is very common. Knocking on wood for luck is another.

I never grew up with any in particular. My parents were stark realists. But they were entertained by the myths of others.

/ Friday, the 13th #22  
If your child has breathing issues, put a Chihuahua in their bed/crib every night and it will take the breathing problems away.

Hoo boy. I've heard this from several folks over the years. They swear it worked. Discounted the fact the most kids grow out of childhood breathing issues and most Chihuahuas get them as they get older. 🙃

/ Friday, the 13th #23  
If your child has breathing issues, put a Chihuahua in their bed/crib every night and it will take the breathing problems away.

Hoo boy. I've heard this from several folks over the years. They swear it worked. Discounted the fact the most kids grow out of childhood breathing issues and most Chihuahuas get them as they get older. 🙃
Never heard that one before. :)

/ Friday, the 13th #24  
I have a sister that was having a garage sale. We were sitting there watching people browse through the stuff. A couple Jehovah's Witnesses came up to talk. My sister was being polite, but looking for a way out. Then her black cat came up and walked between them. Those two ladies actually started screaming, turning wildly to keep their eyes on the cat, grabbed the little kids that they had in tow, and briskly walked out of the driveway and down the street trying to catch their breath.

It was the strangest thing I think I've ever seen with regards to superstitions. Shocking, actually, as a life-long cat owner.

/ Friday, the 13th #26  
Step on a crack and you'll break your mother's back.

Jeepers criminy! We lived on a crummy asphalt road. It was impossible to not step on a crack. I'm surprised my mother wasn't the bell ringer at the cathedral.

/ Friday, the 13th #27  
I have been in two car accidents, one kinda bad, on Friday the 13th. The only accidents I have been in. In both accidents, other people hit the vehicle I was in, not a thing I could do to prevent the crash. I also had a car break down on Alligator Alley, in July, on Friday the 13th during a road trip. Took hours to get AAA to pick us up and if my wife had been alone, I think she would have "disappeared." It was the only road trip where the car broke down. Knock on wood. 😁

There was a chance I would be going on a trip today but I decided not too because it was Friday the 13th, the weather is going to be bad, and for some other reasons. I really try to avoid being in a vehicle on Friday the 13th.

Call me suspicious. Call me paranoid. Whatever. 😁

/ Friday, the 13th #28  
I was just thinking this thread might be very entertaining if everyone posted a superstition or "belief" they've heard in their lives.
My mother always used to say if you find a penny on the ground and put it in your shoe you'll have good luck all day, leave it and you'll have bad luck. I always do it if for no reason other than I'm 1¢ richer. :ROFLMAO:

My wife says that if you find a feather it means you're on the right path. Don't need to pick it up or anything, just acknowledge it.

/ Friday, the 13th #29  
Strange - I've never heard the "feather" theory. I find lots of feathers out here. Mainly turkey and ravens. Both birds will get in great and very loud squabbles.

/ Friday, the 13th #30  
We have lots of domestic and wild birds around. Can't walk 2 steps without seeing feathers. If you see a pile some bird was not lucky.....