front anti-scalp roller

/ front anti-scalp roller #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I may buy a 72" rear finish mower (RFM) from Frontier GM4072. As a option, they offer a front anti-scalp roller but the dealer said the price is $140.

I can't imagine that kind of price for a roller. It must be something totally different than what my mind has pictured. Could span the entire front of the mower and not just an 8" roller?

Do RFM's need an anti-scalp roller in the front when mowing the average 3 acre farm yard?

Any idea what size this one is?

They offer a rear anti-scalp roller for $86.

Something seems off.

/ front anti-scalp roller #2  
Well - you could buy/use the RFM w/out the rollers and see how it works. I've seen a few - none had front or back rollers. A roller spanning the entire front sounds counter productive. Pressing the grass down just prior to mowing.

Talk to a dealer who sells a different brand w/out rollers. Ask why they don't need the rollers.

Wish I had more experience with RFM and provide direct experience.

/ front anti-scalp roller #3  
I had a 3 pt finish mower - Massey Ferguson - can't recall the model. Don't think that it had an anti scalp roller on it. It had four wheels on it, so it really was unlikely to scalp (vs a deck hanging off a mower).

/ front anti-scalp roller #4  
My JD X570 riding mower has a small nylon wheel hanging off each corner of the deck. They are height adjustable. I guess they might be some form of anti-scalping system.

This RFM - isn't it attached and pulled with the drawbar. Doesn't it ride on wheels.

/ front anti-scalp roller #5  
We mow rough ground surrounded by trees. See the front center roller on the 6’rfm has some wear after twenty years. Might be helping and saving some blade damage. It’s not in contact ground with normal mowing. Don’t see scalping. Don’t remember the front roller option from Woods costing much. Not complicated. The rear chain guard has been good option. If I replace the mower it will have both options.

/ front anti-scalp roller
My JD X570 riding mower has a small nylon wheel hanging off each corner of the deck. They are height adjustable. I guess they might be some form of anti-scalping system.

This RFM - isn't it attached and pulled with the drawbar. Doesn't it ride on wheels.
They do have a substantial wheel on all 4 corners that they ride on but this size are 3ph mounted.

/ front anti-scalp roller
We mow rough ground surrounded by trees. See the front center roller on the 6’rfm has some wear after twenty years. Might be helping and saving some blade damage. It’s not in contact ground with normal mowing. Don’t see scalping. Don’t remember the front roller option from Woods costing much. Not complicated. The rear chain guard has been good option. If I replace the mower it will have both options.
I'm glad you talked about the chain guard. That is another option I hadn't decided on. Does it affect the clipping dispersal much?

/ front anti-scalp roller #8  
I have a 7' estate finish mower from Agri Supply and it has a single anti scalp roller on the front dead center, I don't recall the other sizes having one though, as far as rear chains go , if it was a rear discharge I would want them, I have them on mine and it doesn't clog due to the rear chains.

/ front anti-scalp roller #9  
You should invest in the front and rear anti scalping rollers as the weight of the mower deck will be putting a great deal of strain on the caster wheels if it is used without them.

The entire width of the front and real rollers is carrying the total weight of the mower; If you do not invest in the front and rear rollers the wheels supplied as standard equipment will be carrying the total weight of the mower on four very, very, small areas on the four caster wheels and the strain on them is very large.

/ front anti-scalp roller #10  
I've never had a RFM, but I thought they always had all the weight on the four wheels, i.e. run with the three point all the way down. I would assume the anti scalp rollers only come into play when a wheel drops into a hole or hits an extremely unlevel area where the blades would hit the ground. It would make sense for them to be full width. Am I missing something?

Also, I'm getting used to any equipment accessories costing 3 or 4 times what I expected. Not sure if it's age or inflation.