Oil & Fuel Front axle draining

/ Front axle draining #21  
And, even though the spec shows 2.2 gallons, it will likely vary from that amount. It's virtually impossible to get all the oil out of any axle, oil or trans. They spec it for what it takes to fill it from empty, before ever having filled it prior. Some fluid will get trapped in the nooks and crannies just like in an English muffin.
Full is when, if lucky enough to have a dipstick, it reads full, after sitting long enough for every bit of oil to settle, then read the stick mark.:)

One thing is for sure; I'm not very smart on anything the first time. I do learn quick though. Since I just hit the 50 hour mark and have been doing all these things for the first time, it has been a learning experience. I've learned a lot, I just need to remember it for the next time. Like I tell my wife. "I have a great memory, it just doesn't last very long.":laughing:

/ Front axle draining #22  
View attachment 429141

here you go, arrow points to the drain hole, in this case the cir clip is in correct location and oil will drain, but if cir clip rotates the hole will be blocked and oil can not be drained.
I hope this helps.
cheers

Thanks for posting. Now we all know why.

/ Front axle draining #23  
And, even though the spec shows 2.2 gallons, it will likely vary from that amount. It's virtually impossible to get all the oil out of any axle, oil or trans. They spec it for what it takes to fill it from empty, before ever having filled it prior. Some fluid will get trapped in the nooks and crannies just like in an English muffin.
Full is when, if lucky enough to have a dipstick, it reads full, after sitting long enough for every bit of oil to settle, then read the stick mark.:)

So when I got home last night I drained out at least 2 quarts. It was good timing because I wanted to change the gear oil in my baler again. (used the two quarts from the tractor) So now my tractor front end is right between low and high marks on the stick and my baler has been changed twice. I will change the baler again after the next use.
I do appreciate the comments from everyone and say thank you.

/ Front axle draining #24  
Congrats! Good work. Now you can rest easy knowing you got it right the first time.
A suggestion. Keep a notebook to take notes of things like the procedure to get the oil level spot on for future reference. I find it easier to look at my fresh notes from the last time I did something than trying to recall exactly what I did some months prior. And I find it motivates me to not procrastinate because of something I don't want to kick myself about having forgot what it was I wanted to do and how I did it. And it makes me look like I know what I'm doing, plus the wife is impressed I have a memory. What was it I was saying?:eek: JMHO.

/ Front axle draining #25  
Congrats! Good work. Now you can rest easy knowing you got it right the first time.
A suggestion. Keep a notebook to take notes of things like the procedure to get the oil level spot on for future reference. I find it easier to look at my fresh notes from the last time I did something than trying to recall exactly what I did some months prior. And I find it motivates me to not procrastinate because of something I don't want to kick myself about having forgot what it was I wanted to do and how I did it. And it makes me look like I know what I'm doing, plus the wife is impressed I have a memory. What was it I was saying?:eek: JMHO.

It is a good idea to keep a maint. log. I plan to do just that. Like you said, then I can keep track of exactly how much of any given item I need.