Front Axle Leak

/ Front Axle Leak #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Don't know about you guys but this is how I love to spend my weekends. (NOT) Of course after waiting a week for the parts, the dealer gave me the wrong size bushing so, guess next week I'll be putting her back together. From the look of the pivot bolt one side looks very worn my guess, this is where the oil is getting past the seals as they didn't really look that bad. :eek::rolleyes:

Attachments

• Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 006.JPG
    Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 006.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 813
  • Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 019.JPG
    Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 019.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 029.JPG
    Kubota Pivot Bolt-1 029.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 659
   / Front Axle Leak #2  
Berryh,

How many hours are on your bx1500? Did you keep the adjustment of the pivot bolt tight as per the service manual? How much of your total time was using the FEL? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

ron

/ Front Axle Leak
Berryh,

How many hours are on your bx1500? Did you keep the adjustment of the pivot bolt tight as per the service manual? How much of your total time was using the FEL? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

ron
Hi Ron,

I bought this tractor used with front the end loader nothing else, which is all I wanted it for. I already had a dedicated lawn tractor. It had around 420 hours on it. I had not made any adjustments to the pivot bolt.

I've only put around 30 hours on it myself, so far all front end loader work. When I first got it home It had a bad hydraulic leak under the steering unit. So while I had it all apart I replaced all of the hydraulic hose's. :eek:

/ Front Axle Leak #4  
You do have a counter weight on the back end don't you?? If not, you can very easly overload the front axle with a FEL.

ron

/ Front Axle Leak
Ron,

even though the damage was done before I bought the tractor. Your advice is right on the money. I had planned to use some sort of counter weight.
I'm also refilling with gear oil.

I haven't decided if I want to load the tires to keep the extra weight off of the frame or, just attach something to the 3 point. After this repair you can bet that will be my first priority. Thanks for the input it's appreciated. ;)

/ Front Axle Leak #6  
..............I haven't decided if I want to load the tires to keep the extra weight off of the frame or, just attach something to the 3 point...........
Hi Barryh, to reduce the load on the front axle, the extra weight has to be located behind the rear axle. If it is at the center (like wheel weights or liquid ballast) it doesn't have any effect on front axle load. In fact it makes it possible to overload the front even more because it masks the fact that the back would be getting light without it.

/ Front Axle Leak
Hi Barryh, to reduce the load on the front axle, the extra weight has to be located behind the rear axle. If it is at the center (like wheel weights or liquid ballast) it doesn't have any effect on front axle load. In fact it makes it possible to overload the front even more because it masks the fact that the back would be getting light without it.
Very good point, makes good sense thanks for the feedback. ;)

/ Front Axle Leak #8  
you may have got off lightly actually. i had a few go through where people have not used a counter weight and the hubs have cracked at the bevel gear pivot. this turns a leaking king pin seal (well thats what we thought it was until we got into it anyway) into a fairly expensive repair.

/ Front Axle Leak
you may have got off lightly actually. i had a few go through where people have not used a counter weight and the hubs have cracked at the bevel gear pivot. this turns a leaking king pin seal (well thats what we thought it was until we got into it anyway) into a fairly expensive repair.
The jury is still out on if I got off lightly. Did not notice any cracks at least not to the naked eye. I hope it turns out to be a simple fix once I getter all back together. :eek: Expensive is not in my play book at this time.

/ Front Axle Leak
Alright,

got the new bushings and o-rings in, put the axle /power steering and hose's back on, and no leaks of any kind. Cleaned up and lubed my 4x4 shaft and splines. I also went with 80/90 weight this time. The SUDT is to thin for my taste. I even fixed my heat gage while I had the front grill off. Feels good to have er back up and running.

Next move is to add ballast per everyone's suggestion here and, also to make some sort of venting for the axle. Anyone done this if so any tips on the best way.

Right now I'm thinking just drill a small hole in the cap and cover the hole with Velcro and then maybe attach some fine screen and cotton gose over that. right now just my initial thoughts. :eek: :rolleyes: