Front Axle oil CK20?

/ Front Axle oil CK20? #1  

toddbiss

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti CK20hst
I did the rest of the 50hr service and just got around to do the front axle. I assumed the plug in the middle of the housing was and over flow and when it started to come out that meant it was full. But it is not coming out and after reading my manual (like I should have done in the first place) it doesn't mention it. Problem is I didn't measure what I put in and it is starting to come out the fill hole.

/ Front Axle oil CK20? #2  
I did the rest of the 50hr service and just got around to do the front axle. I assumed the plug in the middle of the housing was and over flow and when it started to come out that meant it was full. But it is not coming out and after reading my manual (like I should have done in the first place) it doesn't mention it. Problem is I didn't measure what I put in and it is starting to come out the fill hole.

The hole is on the back side of the axle behind the drivers side wheel. My plug has a little window in it. It takes a long time to get that thick oil all the way over to the right side of the axle. I mean, a long time! I pull the plug with the window in it and very slowly add oil to the fill hole until I see the level getting close to flowing out, stop, wait a few minutes, repeat, wait, repeat. When it finally pores out, I put the plug in and add a touch more until the level remains just in the bottom of the glass. Check often after tractor use until it stays there. The manual says 0.82 US gallon.

/ Front Axle oil CK20?
Thanks Sandlot, I was pretty sure it would start to come out sooner or later.

/ Front Axle oil CK20? #4  
A suggestion for cold weather climates..use the same TD Fluid in the front axle that you use for the transmission. 80-90 or straight 90 is maple syrup in the winter, and doesn't have the opportunity to warm up the way the engine oil and transmission fluid does. We use Shell Donax TD in both the Transmission and Front Axle for all of our tractors. It flows much better in cold temperatures.

/ Front Axle oil CK20? #5  
You are of course using a pump to put the 90 wt in the front axle. I found it's faster to fill if you undo the top cap on the axle steering pivot housing. This gives you a nice big hole to pour the oil in. It also lets the air out faster so you spend less time waiting for the level to equalize.