Front Blade Use on possible new Tractor

/ Front Blade Use on possible new Tractor #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
Been talking to my dealer about trading in my B7800 for something with more power. After discussing he suggested the L4630HST. That would step me up to 45 net horsepower from about 30 at this point. I will be using it a lot for log moving and need the extra lifting power.

My other big use is developing a parcel of land that we have. I will need to flatten areas for buildings, build some roads, and maintain the roads. Currently the access road is about 1/2 mile.

So after all that can anyone give me input on the front blades which Kubota, or third parties have? Is it possible to use the tractor as a little bulldozer with one of these blades? Do they work well for snow removal? What, if any, additional hydraulics need to be added to the tractor to make them work? Ideally I would like to be able to cut through some soil, level it, etc.
http://www.kubota.com/f/products/L30_Implements_blades.cfm
Any help appreciated.

Jerry

/ Front Blade Use on possible new Tractor #2  
Jerry,
Got mine 3 years ago for snow removal. Since then, we haven't had any snow. But, I believe a front blade will work well for snow.
I've tried, but my little tractor is too light for the front blade to work well as a bulldozer. Your 45hp tractor might be a different story.
Mine is a Deere and uses the FEL hydraulic quick connects for power.

OkieG

/ Front Blade Use on possible new Tractor #3  
Jerry, I have used a front blade on several 40 hp ford farm tractors for nearly 40 years. My observations: 1.You will never ever want to use a rear blade again for moving snow after you get a front blade. It is that much more efficient because you can get better traction. (it also save wear and tear on the neck) 2. The front blades on a farm tractor are ok for moving loose dirt, brush, and bulky materials but will not stand up to heavy dozer work. My family used ours for years leveling corn silage in a trench silo. But I spent a lot of time with a welder when we tried to push dirt. Also many of the newer blades are spring loaded and will give in heavy loads such as compacted dirt. A box blade is better for that type of work.

If you have a lot of snow to remove, be sure you invest in the hydraulic angle capability. It is worth the money. Willie Jones