Front brake hanging up on rav 4?

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #1  

summit151

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1135
Front brake is hanging up?

I bought a used rav 4 and the guy said there was a front end noise so I took the wheels off and found the passenger side brake looked to be hanging up and it looked like the calliper piston was seized so I installed a new complete calliper and brake pads and the noise is still there and it looks to be dragging again? Could the original rotor be bent bad enough it’s hanging up? What am I missing? Brake pad retainer clips installed wrong?
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #2  
Looks like it took a hard hit & bent something. Did it hit a large pothole or curb?

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4?
It very well could have, What would be bent that would be causing this? It seems consistent on each end of calliper?

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #5  
As kenmac said. ^^ Rubber lines have inner and outer layers. An inner can leak and pressure between the outer can pinch off return flow. The higher pressure of applying is enough more than what it takes for the caliper to drag just enough. This can burn pads in weeks w/o noticing a pull or uneven braking until a pad loses it's lining, gets noisy, etc.

btw, another possibility is a wheel bearing about to show bigger symptoms of failure. With the caliper/bracket removed & wheel back on, grab at 6 & 12 o'clock & wiggle it. If there's any noticeable play or movement I'd say the bearing is about to go out. When one blows out, a rotor fully rubbing on a caliper bracket would likely have you pull over promptly. Wheel/rotor off, if you spin a bare hub by hand and it coasts more than half a revolution your seal friction may be compromised, another early sign the bearing is tired.

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #6  
X3 On the rubber hose. Mine went bad on a '03 silverado and caused drag enough to overheat disc wore pad.

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #7  
Looks like the rotor is contacting the caliper mounting bracket , check that the wheel bearing isn't lose and the caliper mounting bracket isn't bent, damaged or installed incorrectly.
Also make sure the slides for the caliper are moving freely.

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #8  
I'm with Aquamoose and TMGT. The wear on the caliper mounting area is the most concerning to me. I'd check the driver's side versus passenger's side to see which part is out of whack because some hard part has to have been bent up to have the caliper itself contact the rotor.

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #9  
The picture didn't come in the first time I posted. It looks like the inner pad is worn out but outer pad is not. Get a new set and remount the caliper assembly and see if it re-centers. Maybe clean and lubricate the assembly mount.

/ Front brake hanging up on rav 4? #10  
For the rotor to get in that far to the caliper bracket and rub on that something has to be assembled wrong or there's something wrong with the wheel bearing/spindle...