Front end blade for a tractor?

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #21  
Neighbor had one on his Ford 600, cable lift via pulley to the 3 pt hitch in the back to lift. It worked pretty good down his steep hill, but not so hot going up. And he got stuck a lot! Lifting the blade took a lot of weight off the rear wheels and he could not back out of any kind of grade. Probably would have been somewhat better if he had hydraulics to the front, but I think the underlying issue is the same - raising that much weight out in front of a rear wheel drive tractor = traction loss.
Rear weights are a dime a dozen. Sounds like your neighbor didn't consider the option of adding weight out back.

It's not hard, and certainly not a fault of an added front blade.

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #22  
I had a blade on my TO 30 Ferguson.. then another on my JD 420 Utility, and now a blade for my JD 4300. Pretty easy to fabricate and weld something up using existing blades.. it will push dirt, rocks, gravel, etc. too.

Where does the push load go into the tractor on you setup?

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #23  
I have a used blade with mounting brackets, hoses and hyd valve that I would sell for $750.
Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some pictures and dimensions.

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #24  
Where does the push load go into the tractor on you setup?
Fabricated bracket between plow A-frame mount and tractor hooks into the mid-mower front mount plates and tilts up to mate with the front weight bracket, held only with two 1/2" bolts.

Attachments

• Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 82
   / Front end blade for a tractor? #25  
Fabricated bracket between plow A-frame mount and tractor hooks into the mid-mower front mount plates and tilts up to mate with the front weight bracket, held only with two 1/2" bolts.

I worry about loading the axle mount and the engine to transmission interface. I've seen a few failures at those locations.

Prudence is warranted!

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #26  
I know you can buy them for the little kubotas. My old boss had one. I thought it was for plowing snow. He had a bx25. It wouldn't be hard to make, if I remember right, it fit in the front bumper the same as the fel does, and attaches back in the middle of the tractor the same way also. The the geometry of the arms were different. He could angle it while plowing.
We have one for our BX2660, it mounts to the front "bumper" but doesn't attach any further back than that.
It has two long pins that go crossways into the bracket that the front of the mower attaches to (underneath the very front of the tractor) and two wedge clamps that go on top of the "bumper" and that pinch everything tight.

Aaron Z

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #27  
Just another option that may work for some...

I got a cheap hitch mounted plow, designed to put in the front of a vehicle with a front receiver.
My fork lift quick attach plate has a receiver, so I end up with a plow that at least has trip springs.

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #28  
On a number of other threads on TBN, it cautions against using a tractor as a dozer. You can bend the FEL arms doing this (my neighbor did, his Kubota is a big one, 5000 series I think), and if you run in reverse with a blade connected to the 3 point hitch, you may bend the lift arms.

Pushing snow around is likely OK, big rocks, piles of dirt or gravel, probably not.

No personal experience, just what I've read here on TBN, which is usually very good advice.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Yeah, definitely only for snow plowing.

/ Front end blade for a tractor? #29  
Westendorf DB is a FEL mounted dozer blade, around $1200 for 84 inch. I would think you would have to be careful on a big tractor. Could bend/break things. They also make a snow pusher blade that is more money. The snow blades that angle, stick out in front too far.

Last edited:
   / Front end blade for a tractor? #30  
IMG_9871.jpeg

Here's my previous tractor, with a Kubota dozer blade. I bought it that way used. Very used. The dozer blade had a subframe bolted to the main tractor frame, and included an upright on the right for the control levers. It had a lift cylinder hanging from its own bracket bolted near the "bumper", and sideways tilt cylinders. There were also trip springs. The dealer said this tractor had previously been used at a nursing home to plow snow off the driveways. I'd guess they bought it new with the dozer blade, but don't know. One problem with using it: the tractor front end was light and tended to slide sideways away from whichever side I was trying to displace the snow.