Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool

/ Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool #1  

areid

Bronze Member
Tractor
B3030
I'm hoping someone has done this already but I would like to build a small spoon type device to lift small trees out of the ground for later transplanting. I have access to several 1 - 3 foot pine trees I'd like to transplant. I would really like to just have some sort of a spoon I could work around the tree and pull up a small divot. Using a Full Bucket would be Overkill and hard to cut through the grass. My plan is to use something lightweight but strong enough to cut down around the tree 8 to 10 inches deep. If any of you have built something like this I'd love to see it. I'm thinking it would be something like a potato digger backwards. 20180511_160723.jpeg

/ Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool #2  
Google bucket spade

/ Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool #3  
I built a tree spade for removing trees. I guess it might work for transplanting. Understanding that you also have to "spoon" out the same amount of dirt from the receiving location.

For trees that small a spade would work fine.

/ Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool
I built a tree spade for removing trees. I guess it might work for transplanting. Understanding that you also have to "spoon" out the same amount of dirt from the receiving location.

For trees that small a spade would work fine.
I agree some are small enough to move with a pail and a shovel but the three foot trees have a pretty extensive root structure already and I would rather use a curved spoon device on my loader to get the majority of the roots so there is a good chance of survival. I hired a tree mover to move 25' trees 9 years ago and they are just now beginning to grow again. Messing with the roots sets them back a long way. 20160612_214438.jpeg

/ Front end loader homemade small tree transplant tool #8  
I hired a tree mover to move 25' trees 9 years ago and they are just now beginning to grow again. Messing with the roots sets them back a long way. View attachment 553801

WHOLE lota difference in the root structure of a 3' tree and a 25' tree. I've moved a lot of 2-4' white pines, it barely slows them up a year....by the second year, lots of new growth.

I use a 3' bucket on the excavator, because I have it. But those shovels on the FEL on Google look good.

Here is what I made in 5 hours out of scraps I had laying around. I used a drum roller I haven't used in years for the scoop. I also have a homemade attachment I built for forks but I had a lot of difficulty finding strong enough forks. I decided to make the spade detachable. I can easily drive up to it and scoop it up then add the two bolts to keep it in place. I also wanted to make it so I could slide it a foot or so either way if I got into tight conditions. I tried it out on a 20 foot poplar in my pasture and an ant hill
(something I didn't think of head of time) and it worked great. I think it should get enough roots to lift out a four or five foot tree for transplant.

I'm happy with the results. 20180512_104555.jpeg20180512_161058.jpeg20180512_161553.jpeg