Front Mount Mower

/ Front Mount Mower #1  

TwinStick

Tractor
Kubota ZD326, JD5042r
Its been a while since I was last on and I'm in need of some opinions. I am looking to get a Kubota or John Deere front mount mower (used of course), and wanted some opinions on operator comfort, ergonomics, and cut quality. The models I'm looking at are the JD 1500 series and the Kubota 3680 with 72" deck. This new mower will replace a Kubota ZD326 with 60" deck. I have some rough ground and pond dams to mow and the 326 is just not stable enough to do the job safely. I have roughly 10 acres to mow which includes some highway right of way. I had a Kubota B2620 a few years ago and I wasn't a fan of the F/R pedal for the hydrostatic trans. It was not comfortable to me when on it for several hours making continuous direction changes while mowing or using FEL. That is my only experience with a pedal like that. I have a John Deere tractor with a hydrostatic trans and it has a pedal for each direction and is more comfortable to use for long periods. Do the JD front mount mowers have a similar pedal setup with dual pedals for direction? WHat about the Kubota F3680 pedals? I have tried to find some machines local to go look at and sit on, but no luck so far.

How is cut quality with these mowers when cutting 12" tall grass with stems?

Thanks

/ Front Mount Mower #2  
No experience with Kubota or JD, mine is a 2004 TORO. For your mowing, I recommend four wheel drive.

The F/R pedal is very comfortable. It has a footrest on the right and you put your toe on the top of the pedal to go forward.

With the short turning radius, not many direction changes are necessary.

PC230002.JPG

P4070007.JPG

P4070002.JPG

P3240005.JPG

/ Front Mount Mower #4  
You could go with a commercial wing mower. You CAN get them at good prices. My Cushman 6510 ten foot, will cut three or four foot grass, no issue at all with 56 HP Kubota. You will never have to find time to cut grass again. Compared to the Steiner, front deck, it's like riding a Cadilac. AND even more stable on hills. Has 4wd, but not a lot of traction in wet areas.

Some makes are Toro, Cushman/Ransomes, JD and I don't know if Kubota has one. Considering Municipalities paid somewhere around 80 grand for a mower like that, you can get a fantistic deal, and have a mower that cuts like an 80 grand mower! And there's simply nothing like it!

Also, you can fold up one or both wings and just use the front six foot deck.

/ Front Mount Mower #6  
something to keep in mind on a front mount mower is if you choose a rear discharge deck, you need to be extra careful to air blast all the accumulated debris out of engine area each time you use it. My new 2560E Kubota with a 72 RD deck mows nicely, with gator blades (standard blades clumped and did poorly). If I had to do it again I would have gone with a side discharge, despite how easy RD makes trimming around lots of mulched flower beds where I don't want the lawn blown in. I also have about ten acres to mow.

/ Front Mount Mower #7  
I religeously blow out my mowers after use. I used to use compressed air but a leaf blower works better.

You couldn't give me a side discharge mower.

/ Front Mount Mower
You could go with a commercial wing mower. You CAN get them at good prices. My Cushman 6510 ten foot, will cut three or four foot grass, no issue at all with 56 HP Kubota. You will never have to find time to cut grass again. Compared to the Steiner, front deck, it's like riding a Cadilac. AND even more stable on hills. Has 4wd, but not a lot of traction in wet areas.

Some makes are Toro, Cushman/Ransomes, JD and I don't know if Kubota has one. Considering Municipalities paid somewhere around 80 grand for a mower like that, you can get a fantistic deal, and have a mower that cuts like an 80 grand mower! And there's simply nothing like it!

Also, you can fold up one or both wings and just use the front six foot deck.

I値l keep an eye out for one of those. I知 sure if I find one it値l have high hours on it. What do you estimate would be something to stay away from? Anything over 4K hours or so?

/ Front Mount Mower
something to keep in mind on a front mount mower is if you choose a rear discharge deck, you need to be extra careful to air blast all the accumulated debris out of engine area each time you use it. My new 2560E Kubota with a 72 RD deck mows nicely, with gator blades (standard blades clumped and did poorly). If I had to do it again I would have gone with a side discharge, despite how easy RD makes trimming around lots of mulched flower beds where I don't want the lawn blown in. I also have about ten acres to mow.

I知 most likely going with a side discharge deck. Seems like a lot of owners with RD decks are not 100% happy with them.

/ Front Mount Mower #10  
I have F-2560 Kubota front deck. It does a fine job in yard grass. It will handle 12” grass but doing a good job in 12” grass is a pretty tall order for a lawnmower. My front deck is 2wd and I highly recommend getting a 4wd. My front deck can leave less trimming to be done and offers a lot of versatility but honestly I like my 428D Grasshopper better than the front deck.