Front mounted snow blade

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
I have a 1955 Ferguson TO-35 with a rear 3 point hitch mounted 5 foot wide scraper blade. I've moved a lot of snow with it over 38 years, but when the snow gets over about 12 inches deep, just getting the tractor through the snow is hard enough , without using the blade. I have 12.4 by 28 rear tires, two wheel drive. A basic observation I've made is that if I can move the snow before the tractor tires have to go though it , I'd do much better. Going backwards using the rear blade has its limitations in deep snow , and my two backwards gears are either too slow or too fast . My 6 forward gears are a much better selection. I do have a front end loader on the tractor, and I've long considered making a V plow to mount on the front loader. The bucket I have for the FEL is much too narrow. I'd like to make it clear a 60 inch path through the snow, down my 400 foot dirt and gravel driveway. I don't think I have the traction to push a wide box type straight blade . I'm also concerned that I would not be able to steer effectively if I had any type of front mounted blade. I'd only need this rig about once every 2 or 3 years here in Delaware. The rear mounted tractor scraper blade, and my walk behind snow blower handle our usual 7 to 10 inch snowfalls ok. Would a front mounted V plow work out for me ? It would be home built to save money, and I've even considered using plywood with angle iron edges.

Katahdin

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420
I've always had four wheel drive and front mounted blades and we have the same length gravel driveways. When we get large storms I plow after every 8 inches or so of accumulation and never let it get over a foot if I can help it. I think also doing the same would serve you well.