FRONT SEAL FAILURE

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
On a past post someone stated that they had their tractor back to the dealer to have the front seals replaced. Twice! They went on to say that they had dug a pond and ran it in water. A freind of mine had his struck in a small creek on his property over the weekend and guess what. Front seal is out. So if you are going to use your 4 wheel drive don't do it in water or you will be doing the wheel seals too.

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE #3  
Yikes!.. what's the point of having 4wd if ya can't use it when needed?!?

Soundguy

dirtworksequip said:
On a past post someone stated that they had their tractor back to the dealer to have the front seals replaced. Twice! They went on to say that they had dug a pond and ran it in water. A freind of mine had his struck in a small creek on his property over the weekend and guess what. Front seal is out. So if you are going to use your 4 wheel drive don't do it in water or you will be doing the wheel seals too.

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE #4  
Do you guys think the water part is a coincidence or cause and effect? I'd say something happened while trying to get unstuck.

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE
I think if you run in water the mud you stir up acts as an abrasive and damages the seal. My friend was stuck and he was spinning the front in muddy water.Luckily only one side failed.

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE #6  
I would have thought that at least the Asian manufacturers would have that under control what with all the rice paddy tractors the mfg.

/ FRONT SEAL FAILURE #7  
dirtworksequip said:
I think if you run in water the mud you stir up acts as an abrasive and damages the seal. My friend was stuck and he was spinning the front in muddy water.Luckily only one side failed.

If it was merely an abrasion failure.. then my fleet of heavy equipment would -NEVER- be operational.

All my scraper pans, bull dozers, and other ground engaging equipment run every day in dirt, mud, etc. I have equipment running in a sand mine about 20hrs/6days.

I think there were other factors at play.. like a breather that allowed the front sump to fill with water.. etc... otherwise.. I'd never be able to keep shaft seals on my heavy equipment that run in sand all day..

Soundguy