Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I have a KIOTI DK 45SE HST tractor with loader and I want to mount and run my 76" Meteor snow blower on the loader.

Hydraulics are 16.5 GPM
Drive is Hydrostatic
I have a remote hydraulic set up

The "Hydraulics Expert" at Princess Auto says he has lots of guys who use this hydro motor to run 6 foot snow blowers and bigger. http://www.princessauto.com/power-t.../motors/gerotor/8179673-hydraulic-orbit-motor

He says my tractor should do it no problem with 16.5 GPM (less GPM with drive and power steering but still enough he believes) and 2500 PSI. He also says there is lots of power (torque) in the motor at 6,750 in-lbs.

If it doesn't work he said I can bring the motor back for refund or exchange.

When I got home and thought about it some more I was concerned the motor is rated at only 246 RPM and my blower is rated at the standard 540 RPM.

If this will work, it is much cheaper (and simpler) than a PTO pump, a reservoir and a hydro motor, which is what I was considering earlier.

I do not blow snow commercially so I am not in a hurry and I have HST drive.

Is there a reason not to go ahead?
Is there a better simple choice?

Thanks.

Bob

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #2  
Kioti says you have 16.8gpm but at least 5gpm will be for power steering. Probably closer to 7gpm in a tractor that size. I would assume you have 10gpm available to power the motor.

The motor is listed at 246rpm and 6750in-lbs but does that mean at 3000psi and 20gpm (which is its max rating)? What are you going to get out of the motor at 2500psi and 10gpm?

I think the only big difference between 246rpm and 540rpm is that you won't be able to throw snow as far but my concern would be that since you aren't running the motor at max capacity is that you'll only get say 200rpm out of it. And if you only get 3500in-lbs out of it at half the rated flow, you could be quite disappointed in its ability to deal with hard-pack and two-foot drifts.

I could very well be wrong but I have trouble believing you will be happy with this package. If you think about it.... if your tractor had enough power to run a hydraulic snowblower effectively, Kioti would offer a loader mount version of one. It'd be half the cost of a front-hitch/mid-PTO model and so it would sell better. Deere offers one but its not listed for any compact tractors, IIRC.

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #3  
Another option would be to make a rear PTO pump/ fluid tank to power the motor. As for the RPM have you tried running it at 250 while mounted to your 3pt? That'll tell you if it spins fast enough. If not you may have to either switch motors or connect it to the blower with a chain to gear it closer to 540. You may find that if you use a 3 to 1 gearing you can run your tractor at a lower RPM to get 540 at the blower.

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #4  
If you run the tractor at a lower rpm you'll get even less gpms from the hydraulic pump which will give you even less in-lbs from the motor.

Will that be enough power to spin your blower through tough snows? I don't know, but again, if it were, there would be a dozen of aftermarket models available for purchase at a similar cost to a rear-mount blower (trade a driveshaft for a motor and the 3pt mount for an SSQA and you're approximately cost even).

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #5  
Couple the motor to this 1:3 gearbox and run the full 540 (or more) rpm into the snow blower. It already is compatible with your pto coupling. This picture shows it coupled opposite: the input is 1600 rpm the output is about 540. You can run the power either way.

central ga generator dot com

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #6  
Well, I somewhat lied to you. The Deere loader mount blower is compact tractor compatible. It uses a PTO mount pump as crazyal was suggesting. The pump needs 25-34 PTO HP. In turn it spins the impeller at 680rpm and the auger at 200rpm. It generates 16gpm flow at 3000psi to do all this. This is the 64" model.

The 76" model needs 19gpm @ 3000psi and spins a tad slower. And also requires 10 more PTO HP.

So that explains why that motor is considered adequate. It spins three times slower than the Deere models but is comparable in gpm flow. And it means your tractor hydraulics are no where near enough for it. Get a PTO pump and that changes the ball game. Maybe.....

We don't know how many in-lbs the Deere pump puts out. If its less than the motor you're looking at, then you could connect the motor to a gearbox and have enough power. If the Deere PTO pump puts out similar in-lbs to the motor, then you'd have less rpms and less in-lbs than Deere specs for their model if you connected it to a gearbox.

Keep in mind, once you've purchased a PTO pump, a gear box, a hydraulic motor, hoses, etc. you could very well have sold your rear mount blower and purchased the front mount one from Kioti.

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work
Thanks for the ideas and feedback

Couple the motor to this 1:3 gearbox and run the full 540 (or more) rpm into the snow blower.

Interesting idea.
Any idea where I would look for more info on such a gearbox?

Would I be able to run this with my hydraulics or does it lose a lot of efficiency when the power goes through such a gearbox?

Bob

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #8  
Bob, you don't have enough hydraulics to run this motor at 1:1 let alone 1:3.

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #9  
I'm not sure if your tractor's hydraulics will put out enough to make you happy. If you don't mind trying it and then if it doesn't cut it buying something like a Prince PTO hydraulic pump (I'm guessing $400) and either buying or making a tank for the fluid then I would say try it. If you're not wanting this project to cost too much maybe you shouldn't try.

I do have to ask. If you are thinking of buying a 3 to 1 gear box so you can use the motor you have would it not be cheaper to see if you can exchange that motor for one that turns faster?

/ Front Snowblower - Tell if (WHY) this won't work #10  
I have a KIOTI DK 45SE HST tractor with loader and I want to mount and run my 76" Meteor snow blower on the loader.

Hydraulics are 16.5 GPM
Drive is Hydrostatic
I have a remote hydraulic set up

The "Hydraulics Expert" at Princess Auto says he has lots of guys who use this hydro motor to run 6 foot snow blowers and bigger. http://www.princessauto.com/power-t.../motors/gerotor/8179673-hydraulic-orbit-motor

He says my tractor should do it no problem with 16.5 GPM (less GPM with drive and power steering but still enough he believes) and 2500 PSI. He also says there is lots of power (torque) in the motor at 6,750 in-lbs.

If it doesn't work he said I can bring the motor back for refund or exchange.

When I got home and thought about it some more I was concerned the motor is rated at only 246 RPM and my blower is rated at the standard 540 RPM.

If this will work, it is much cheaper (and simpler) than a PTO pump, a reservoir and a hydro motor, which is what I was considering earlier.

I do not blow snow commercially so I am not in a hurry and I have HST drive.

Is there a reason not to go ahead?
Is there a better simple choice?

Thanks.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Please let me caution you on pursuing this as I would like to %^*%^ in this fellows hat as you MUST have 540 RPM to run the impeller other wise it will simply pump the snow rather than throw it

You need 540 R.P.M. (at the rated engine speed) at the input shaft to run the impeller at 540 R.P.M., within which the impeller shaft worm provides the speed to the spur gear which powers the cross auger through the chain drive.

Your much better off using the blower on the rear along with using a suicide knob and or a back up camera as you will spend much less money.

Last edited: