Frontier RC 1072 drive line

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line #1  

ICGREEN

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520
The drive line on my RC 1072 got damaged and I've looked everywhere for a replacement. Anyone know of a place that might sell parts or new shafts? The cutter is hardly worth repairing but if I can find a part I spend a couple hundred to fix it. The damaged part is the inner shaft.
Thanks.

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line #2  
To clarify, you need a PTO shaft?

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line
That is correct. At least the inner shaft.

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line #4  
OK, so you have some options. Probably best to replace the shaft. If part of it got damaged then there could be other areas that might develop issues also. Best for safety.
Measure the collapsed length of the whole shaft. That is the minimum you need in a new shaft but also make sure the extended length of the new one is enough. You want about on third of the tube length or more to be overlap when the shaft is installed. Longer is ok because you cut to length. Make sure the shaft has the correct ends and is rated for the horsepower of the tractor. If you search a bunch on Amazon you can find one that will work for a reasonable cost.
Getting the half shaft may be somewhat costly and then you'll have to swap out the end onto the new shaft.

I agree I should get the entire shaft. No one seems to make one. Parts from JD are way to expensive.

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line #6  
If you post the HP of the tractor and the minimum or collapsed length of the shaft I can look around and send some suggestions.
Also I assume the tractor end is splined and the cutter end is smooth.
I use an RC 1048 cutter and my shaft is nothing unique so should be pretty easy to find one that will work ok.
I don't think there is anything unique about the shaft you have but I think for safety's sake it is wise to replace the whole thing.

The tractor is a JD 3520. The collapsed length is approximately 45. Kind of hard to know exactly where to measure from. It splined on the tractor, smooth with shear bolt on the cutter.

/ Frontier RC 1072 drive line #8  
The tractor is a JD 3520. The collapsed length is approximately 45. Kind of hard to know exactly where to measure from. It splined on the tractor, smooth with shear bolt on the cutter.
Sorry for the delay. Here is a starting point.
You're looking for a series 4 shaft at minimum and splined on the tractor end and shear bolt on the implement end.
If you measure 45 inches collapsed I'd say go 50+ inches collapsed to be safe you get it long enough.

This looks pretty good.

Thanks for the help. Fortunately I had a old farm equipment dealer a couple towns over that has switched to yard & garden that has the tubing in stock. They took the ends off and rebuilt the drive line for $150. Pretty pleased with the deal.
Thanks again for the help.