Frost on loaded rear tires?

/ Frost on loaded rear tires? #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
Is this normal? I noticed this on my loaded rear tires the other morning when it was around 0 degrees outside. The unloaded front tires had no frost on them. I keep the tractor parked under roof but one side of the barn is open.

/ Frost on loaded rear tires? #2  
That would be normal if you had a temp increase of several degrees pretty quickly.

Frost forms just like Dew but if it is below freezing you get frost instead. The temp of the tire (and fluid inside it) must be below the dewpoint. You have alot of fluid in the tires that doesnt change temp as fast as air temp does. So while it may warm up several degrees, the fluid takes MUCH longer to make the temp change. So it being colder is below the dewpoint. Kinda like a cold beverage sweats.

Nothing to be concerned about

/ Frost on loaded rear tires? #3  
As LD1 has stated, its no problem. However, its an excellent way to know exactly how full & to exactly what level the tires are filled. As shown by the pics you loaded - they are filled right to the top of the rim.

/ Frost on loaded rear tires?
Thanks guys!

/ Frost on loaded rear tires? #5  
Actually this is quite normal. It may not be a valid indication of tire fill however. Mine are not filled to the top of the rim, however they looked just as your photos but only on one side of the tire. Since fluid does not rest at an angle, some other weather item was effecting my tires. Sometimes a tire will "sweat" in the warmer months, again from dew points and this fill line is more evident on mine as it goes straight across the tire.

/ Frost on loaded rear tires? #6  
That's just Jack Frost nipping at your tires! Just like your beer glass having condensation, it's the same thing on the tires except that the tires have much more thermal mass and freeze the humid air that is condensating on them. That's my take on it, and yes, I find it interesting to note the approx fill levels.