Frozen very worried

/ Frozen very worried #1  

Dan Lamb

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h TLB/ cab
I live in northern California at the base of Mt Shasta completly different world than most of the state , so far this winter we have had about 42 in of snow, my 2018 2400h TLB has done a great job with moving snow , we live off grid and dont have the solor completed yet just have to set the panels. I do have 4 different generators and a battery pack that I can work with when I am there. Since I dont have a cover built yet my tractor has to sit outside, when I leave I do wrap the engine area with a old Wool blanket and cover that with a tarp . I have a block heater that I plug in for 2 hours befor I start when Im there. I will Get a oil pan heater and a hydralic oil heater wher I Get full time solor, but until then does anybody have good ideas to protect the engine from freez for the rest of winter, their is so much knowledge on this site I am sure there are ideas . Thank You Very much Nor Cal Dan

/ Frozen very worried #2  
wrapping in a blanket would only hold in heat that is already there, or that is produced by the block heater. It's not protecting the tractor while you're away, and could attract pests like mice. Any cover will keep the snow off of it though, if that's your intention. As long as you have proper coolant/antifreeze in the radiator, you're fine. The block heater will do wonders if really cold, but in temps of 20-30* it's not needed (but does make starting easier). After starting, let if warm up for 10 minutes, and then drive around a little, working the controls to get hyd fluid flowing and warmed. Looking up your weather I see above freezing temps daily, for the next 10 days, with lows in the teens or 20's.

/ Frozen very worried
Thanks 850 , the temp Get in 25-35 in winter and in teens seldom , and old timer up here said if you wrap it that will keep the frost from coming in Contact with block and it has new antifreez in it only 102 hrs, looks like your a Ford guy have you ever seen a Ford Powermaster 811 backhoe built 1957 thriu 1963 looked like a beast ,thank you for your advise. Dan

/ Frozen very worried #4  
If the engine has the correct anti-freeze mix in the cooling system, frost is no problem. It is not as fragile as a napa grape.

/ Frozen very worried #5  
Thanks 850 , the temp Get in 25-35 in winter and in teens seldom , and old timer up here said if you wrap it that will keep the frost from coming in Contact with block and it has new antifreez in it only 102 hrs, looks like your a Ford guy have you ever seen a Ford Powermaster 811 backhoe built 1957 thriu 1963 looked like a beast ,thank you for your advise. Dan

I had to look that up. TractorData.com Ford Powermaster 811 tractor information Select-O-Speed and no PTO.

/ Frozen very worried #6  
Dan - my Kubota M6040 sits out in an open carport stall. Nothing is heated. I've started it - just fine, down to our coldest temps of -20F. After it starts I let it run at high idle - 1200 rpm until it's warm. Sitting out in the cold will not hurt the tractor. ruffdog said it - "they aren't as fragile as a Napa grape"

/ Frozen very worried #8  
Dan - let's be honest here. You don't get cold enough, even at the base of Mt Shasta, to worry about needing to plug things in to start the tractor. When you get your solar all up and working THEN you might consider "plug in's". Honestly, the best "plug in" would be a battery tender. This will keep your battery topped up at all times and doesn't draw that much power.

That tractor HAD BETTER start without any "plug ins". The way I figure it - if we get a REAL storm here - I might loose power. I will definitely need my tractor to plow out my mile long gravel driveway. MY tractor had darn well better start without being plugged in. And it alway has.

Same goes for you there at the base of the mountain. You get a major storm - you want your tractor to start RIGHT NOW. Not after it's been plugged in for X number of hours.

Is you cooling system anti-freeze at 50/50 strength - is your engine oil the proper weight for the weather conditions? If so - - don't fret, it will start.

/ Frozen very worried #9  
Dan - my Kubota M6040 sits out in an open carport stall. Nothing is heated. I've started it - just fine, down to our coldest temps of -20F. After it starts I let it run at high idle - 1200 rpm until it's warm. Sitting out in the cold will not hurt the tractor. ruffdog said it - "they aren't as fragile as a Napa grape"

Agreed.... "the cold will not hurt the tractor"

I realize that your tractor is in a shed...and that is a good thing!
So..ooo many are left outside with paint and rubber sun damaged.
A Kubota left outside can look like it is 30 years old, though it may be only 3.

/ Frozen very worried #10  
Around here - only a few of the REALLY BIG ag tractors are garaged. Most are left in the field - right where they finished work. Red, green, blue - - they all fade in the sun. My first tractor - Ford 1700 - was stored in the same carport stall as my Kubota sits in right now. I bought it new in '82 and traded it in, in 2009. Twenty seven years and the OEM tires showed NO sun damage. The blue paint was still as bright as new. OUT OF THE SUN is an enormous factor.