Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ?

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #1  

Old Guy in Tenn

Silver Member
Tractor
LX4500 Yanmar 1948 Farmall Cub
We are going to NE Tennessee in mid-April, and hope to get some plants in the ground. High on my wife's list is planting a variety of fruit trees. Apples, peaches, and cherries are on her list. Our clearing runs north and south, and is basically a notch in the forest. Most of the areas we would like to plant are near the forest on the east and west sides of the clearing. The center has been pre-assigned for other purposes.

The fruit trees are labeled full sun. On the east side they will get sun from 10 AM until 5-6 PM. On the west side they ill get sun from 7-8 AM until 3 PM. Can this work? Which side would be better, and why?

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #2  
We are going to NE Tennessee in mid-April, and hope to get some plants in the ground. High on my wife's list is planting a variety of fruit trees. Apples, peaches, and cherries are on her list. Our clearing runs north and south, and is basically a notch in the forest. Most of the areas we would like to plant are near the forest on the east and west sides of the clearing. The center has been pre-assigned for other purposes.

The fruit trees are labeled full sun. On the east side they will get sun from 10 AM until 5-6 PM. On the west side they ill get sun from 7-8 AM until 3 PM. Can this work? Which side would be better, and why?

The more direct sun they get the better the chances of producing quality fruit and general health of the trees...

Good Luck...

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #3  
Is there any significant difference in soil content or moisture? Is either side more or less fertile? Is either side more apt to dry out or remain too moist?

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #4  
For fruit trees or small fruit, e.g. blueberries, et.al., you want a N or E facing slope. So, mostly just morning sun and weak or no afternoon or evening sun.

Don't put the fruit bearers near the bottom of the slope. Cold air will hang out there.

Ralph

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #5  

Normally, early sun is preferred as it helps dry nighttime moisture that otherwise, encourages unwanted fungus to grow. Offsetting this benefit, is in dry times or dry locations, late Morning sun allows the fruit trees more time to absorb needed moisture through the leaves in the morning.
Not knowing your particular climate, I would say you should decide which is more likely at your location. Hours wise, you seem to have plenty.

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ?
The soil is generally similar from east to west, and I have not observed any effects of moisture differences. The land is higher to the south and west, probably enough to reduce the effects of sun on the sloping ground itself but not enough to directly shade any trees of bushes.

Thank you all for helping. It seems that we will be ok in finding good areas for the planting. I hope that the virus concerns don't stop us from making the trip to plant.

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #7  

For consideration; I moved to TN 7 years ago and planted a bunch of fruit trees, apple, peach, pear and something else I am not even sure of. The peaches bud out very well because of a 3 week very warm spell but most of the time a hard freeze comes along after that and get nothing. Every tree grows in size well because of the temps and growing season but your location may or may not work well for peaches. Apples bud later and are still a little iffy because of late frosts, but I would go with apples again.

The third year I got 50# of peaches from two spindly trees but nada after that except one of a newer peach tree I got a dozen peaches.

I planted one plum tree or cherry tree that blossoms very early and every year I get nothing because of the frost.

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ? #8  
For consideration; I moved to TN 7 years ago and planted a bunch of fruit trees, apple, peach, pear and something else I am not even sure of. The peaches bud out very well because of a 3 week very warm spell but most of the time a hard freeze comes along after that and get nothing. Every tree grows in size well because of the temps and growing season but your location may or may not work well for peaches. Apples bud later and are still a little iffy because of late frosts, but I would go with apples again.

The third year I got 50# of peaches from two spindly trees but nada after that except one of a newer peach tree I got a dozen peaches.

I planted one plum tree or cherry tree that blossoms very early and every year I get nothing because of the frost.

I've mentioned this in other threads. If you paint the trunk white it will reflect sunlight, which can delay the trees from budding too soon.

/ Fruit Trees - Morning or evening sun ?
I've mentioned this in other threads. If you paint the trunk white it will reflect sunlight, which can delay the trees from budding too soon.

I was today years old when I learned this. Very interesting. Will the white rodent wrap also do this?