Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I was doing work in the woods with my L3301 and noticed the fuel gauge was getting close to empty.
I stopped the rotary cutter and drove back to my driveway.
My fuel tank holds about 11 gallons but I was only able to get 5 gallons in the tank by visual inspection through fill hole. I hope there isn't a 6 gallon reserve when showing empty.
I guess I could go by gallons used per hour on the meter but was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #2  
After filling the tank did the gauge register full? I had a problem with my fuel gauge and found that a rodent had chewed trough one of the sender wires.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining
Yes, the fuel gauge reads full after filling the tank and after visual inspection that the fuel is almost to the top of the fill hole.

I only have 24 hrs on my tractor so have only filled it twice.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #4  
This may be normal. When my JD reads empty it has about 40% of the tank remaining. Works well for me.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #5  
Moving some dirt around today and went across a side hill to fill a depression and the 斗ean of the BX caused the fuel gage to bottom out and the gas pump indicator to come on on the dash.
There was at least half a tank left.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #6  
You can bend/cause problems with the float device if you fill from high volume nozzles set up to fill large semi diesel pumps. Dodge Cummins folks [ like I used to be ] ran into this in years past. Most diesel vehicle floats are made similar to gas version and not heavy duty enough to take the strain. Not probably your problem, but you should be aware of this.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #7  
Who knows....the sender arm may have gotten bent when they installed it. Or, it is just a way to remind people to keep the tank more full.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #8  
Who knows....the sender arm may have gotten bent when they installed it. Or, it is just a way to remind people to keep the tank more full.

Whatever it is.....be happy!
Running any diesel out of fuel is a giant PITA.

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining #9  
Had to replace sender on GL3130 and repair one on RTV1100, the BIO Diesel is corrosive and rusts the sending units.

David

/ Fuel gauge reads empty but half tank remaining
This may be normal. When my JD reads empty it has about 40% of the tank remaining. Works well for me.

I hope this isn't normal. It would be useless to have a gauge that isn't accurate.