Fuel leak

/ Fuel leak #1  

tgrashopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
massey Furgeson 1528
Good Day Everyone,

I bought a used tractor couple of months ago. When I bought it the previous owner told me that nothing was leaking and where it was parked there where no signed of lequid on the ground. the tank was at 1/2 at the time. I bought it home used it a litel, and I changed the fuel filter.

Later on a did refill the tank to full.

yesterday when I whent to start it it had a big round of liquid on the ground and I could smell Diseal in the car shelter. The tank is not at 1/2.

How is the fuel system in general on a tractor? Tank->hose->fuel filter->hose-> motor.

Are their anything else in the circuit? it's kind a cold outside and I do not have mutch room to work. just trying to isolate where my problem could come from. I'm thinking to look at the fuel filter.

/ Fuel leak #2  
There might be a water separator bowl - to settle out water. Did the tractor run ok? Unless you have up to date records on maintence, I would change the fuel filter and engine oil anyway. A leak that shows up that much should be easy to find.

/ Fuel leak
There might be a water separator bowl - to settle out water. Did the tractor run ok? Unless you have up to date records on maintence, I would change the fuel filter and engine oil anyway. A leak that shows up that much should be easy to find.
I do not have any record of maintenance. I have change the oil and fuel filter already. I'm pretty sure it's fuel on the ground. If I had mess up the fuel filter installation the tank would have empty out? it look like the tank might leak? I'm not event sure if the fuel gauge is working properly. I belived it was showing full after I had refill it but I can't remember. but I know that I did not used 1/2 tank of fuel.

/ Fuel leak #5  
On a side note, start the practice of topping the tank as often as possible. Letting air in the fuel tank can invite condensation (water into the system). But, you probably already know this.
If there is a leak, it has to be fuel or coolant.

/ Fuel leak
Verify what liquid is on the ground before going any further.
I'm 100% it's diseal the cool is full and hydro oil as well

/ Fuel leak #7  
Look at sending unit on ports on side of tank, might not leak below half full.

/ Fuel leak #8  
Check the screw in sight glass on the side of the plastic hydraulic oil tank. It's near the fuel fill and mine leaked fluid that ran down the side of the plastic tank but did not go below the bottom of the sight glass fitting.

/ Fuel leak #9  
A leak is simple to find if you use your eyes and head. First look at the fuel filter you changed. If it's not leaking, then Put a sheet of brown cardboard under the tractor. After a couple of hours the leak will be obvious. look up from the stain and follow the path to the source. Remember, the spot where it is dripping is the low spot, look higher.

/ Fuel leak #10  
Get all your facts before contacting the seller of the tractor.