Fuel line popped out.

/ Fuel line popped out. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Yesterday I cranked my Kubota L5740 and within about 15 yards, it died. I tried to crank it a couple of times and it wouldn't catch.

When I got out I saw diesel spilling profusely on the ground.

I opened the hood and saw diesel was spewing out the back of the manifold that holds the fuel filter. I turned the fuel off and it stopped.

I noticed a fuel line connected to an "L" elbow that was loose and dripping.

The elbow wouldn't go back in the hole unless I put the arm at the 12:00 position. If I then rotated it to the 9:00 position, it wouldn't come back out. I noticed a groove on the elbow and think it may need an "o" ring?

I needed to get the tractor out of the way so put the elbow in, turned it to the 9:00 position and had my wife watch while I got the tractor started (had to bleed the air out of the system). She said she saw no diesel leak out when it cranked and I backed it back to the pole barn and turned it off.

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow but am curious:

Does it sound normal to insert a fitting like this and turn it and it will lock?

Does anyone know if it needs an "o" ring?

Last couple of weeks, I've thought I smelled diesel but I was unable to locate any leaks. Makes me wonder if an "o" ring had broken and finally gave way.

Thanks.

Photo attached.

IMG_0310.jpgIMG_0310.jpg

/ Fuel line popped out. #2  
The water seperater on my Kubota M7040 appears similar to your tractor's WS. Remove the fuel line & 1 bolt then you will have water separator out so you can inspect the fitting opening. The WS body hose fittings on my tractor appear to be sweated or glued in place on body. I think there is "no o-ring" where fitting goes in housing.

/ Fuel line popped out.
Tx Jim, you are correct. I went to the Kubota Dealer today and the fittings are "pressed in". The fix is a new water separator.

At least it was only about $73 before tax.

Thanks for the input.

I plan to use small C-clamps to close off the fuel lines while replacing.

Anyone have any better tip than C-Clamps?

Thanks.