Oil & Fuel fuel problems TC45

/ fuel problems TC45 #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
I've been having some problems with severe power loss - as in limping back to the barn and barely making it. It would sit overnight then be fine for maybe an hour, then lose power again. I suspected bad fuel and confirmed it this a.m. Couldn't believe how filthy the fuel in my can was. I use 5 gal cans and filled 3 at a station I don't normally use....that's the first and last time. This a.m. I removed the filter, cleaned the mud out, then ordered 3 new cartridges from Messicks. I got a hunch I'll need them before I finish with this mess. I set the last can of badness aside for use on a brush pile and cleaned out the other 2 cans....now I need to deal with what's in the tractor. I have 3/4 of a tank of bad fuel and very likely dirty injectors and maybe pump? Any good ideas on how I should proceed here? I'd like to empty/clean the tank and clean the injectors - hoping the pump will flush on it's own. PROBLEM 1: I've never done anything like this. I do have the manual....but it seems to assume you know what you're doing in the first place and I can see holes in the manuals presentation of procedures. Anybody got an idiots guide? I got the idiot right here at hand....just need some detailed guidance.

/ fuel problems TC45 #2  
I would think the filter stopped any large particles of gunk making it past that point. It seems to have restricted the fuel.
I would clean everything up like you proposed and then run a couple tanks with injector cleaner through it first. See if that restores performance back to normal. If not, then tear into it.

/ fuel problems TC45
was able to drain and remove the tank, wiped it out with a rag on a stick, and rinse it with clean fuel. Looking at the injectors....I think removing them is beyond my capabilities so will wait and see. I'm hoping as you said that the filter did it's job and stopped anything that would create damage. I won't start it until I can replace the fuel filter, and a Mr Funnel is in my very near future to help prevent this from happening again. I got a LOT of mud wiped out with the rags on a stick. Did it 3 times with a rinse in between each time. The third time it wasn't bad at all so I'm hoping I got most of it. Now I have about 12 gallons of bad fuel to dispose of.

/ fuel problems TC45 #4  
I've been having some problems with severe power loss - as in limping back to the barn and barely making it. It would sit overnight then be fine for maybe an hour, then lose power again. I suspected bad fuel and confirmed it this a.m. Couldn't believe how filthy the fuel in my can was. I use 5 gal cans and filled 3 at a station I don't normally use....that's the first and last time. This a.m. I removed the filter, cleaned the mud out, then ordered 3 new cartridges from Messicks. I got a hunch I'll need them before I finish with this mess. I set the last can of badness aside for use on a brush pile and cleaned out the other 2 cans....now I need to deal with what's in the tractor. I have 3/4 of a tank of bad fuel and very likely dirty injectors and maybe pump? Any good ideas on how I should proceed here? I'd like to empty/clean the tank and clean the injectors - hoping the pump will flush on it's own. PROBLEM 1: I've never done anything like this. I do have the manual....but it seems to assume you know what you're doing in the first place and I can see holes in the manuals presentation of procedures. Anybody got an idiots guide? I got the idiot right here at hand....just need some detailed guidance.

Loss in power in a diesel is generally due to a loss in fuel delivery to the injector pump. Baring mechanical failure of the lift pump and injector pump, this is usually due to a clogged fuel delivery system.
This can result from purchase of dirty fuel or from a contaminated tractor fuel tank. Condensate can easily get into a fuel tank over time, especially if you live in a humid climate. As a result of this water, certain bacteria can live in the water/fuel interface and they can cause a snotty looking scum to form in the fuel. If this stuff clogs the strainer in the fuel tank outlet and/or the fuel filter and this can limit fuel flow and thus power output. Water icing up in the filter and gelled fuel in cold weather can also cause this problem.

To avoid this, keep your tank as full as possible to reduce the amount of water that can condense in the tank, use a fuel biocide to keep bacteria from doing their thing and change the filter per the owner's manual recommendation. Using a fuel additive can also cause any water droplets to coalesce and drop to the bottom of the filter bowl where they can be manually drained precluding filter icing. Draining a few tablespoons from the bottom of the filter housing regularly will eliminate any water accumulated there and can keep you filter performing longer also.

Odds are you haven't done any damage to the injector pump or the injectors because the filter kept that from happening. Cleaning the system and replacing the filter should fix your problem and following the above tips can help you keep it from recurring