Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)?

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Has anybody figured their fuel usage on these 125s? Or the same engine on other machines?

I'm coming up on 50 hours and will need to add fuel for the 4th time. So far, it been about every 13-14 hours. The first two I didn't pay attention to how much I added, just brought it up into the strainer. The last time I added 4 gallons (filled one gallon jugs from the barrel, then poured into the tank) which came to the same area on the strainer. That would make it somewhere around 4 hours per gallon, but it's way too early for me to get an average.

My usage has been a small amount of mowing, even smaller amount of tilling, mostly digging, loading and hauling.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #2  
I dont know the exact spec of your 125, but my 'R has a 3TNV76 25hp yanmar. I use between 1 and 1.5 gallons per hour over the past 7 years/300 hours. I run it at max throttle and full speed in high range mowing and snowplowing. It's been a couple of years since I've had the loader fitted, but I do remember that being a low power requirement. So, I'd say that I get a continuous 15-18 hp out of it. According to Yanmar industrial, this particular engine will burn up to 300g/kWh at full load, so rate your use according to that.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #3  
Interesting question. While I haven't had a chance to do regular and constant jobs to get a good average I could not even guess for you. I do know the fuel gauge hangs at full for a long time and then seems to drop fast. This is not a complaint but just something that I have noticed. I went to a neighbors place with about 3/4 of a tank on the gauge and in 90 minutes I was hoping I would make it home before it ran out of fuel. But it will be interesting to see what others with this engine are getting for hours per gallon.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #4  
For me it has varied according to RPM, naturally. When I am doing just loader work and associated tasks, I ussually run at about 1800-2000 RPM, getting about 2 hrs/gallon. Bumped up to 25-2600, only about 1.5/ hr. Using the BH and RPMs up at 3000, really working it, results in burning about a gallon per hour.

Like mslisaj, the fuel gauge seems to stay of full, then moderate drop to just below 1/2, then really drops. I have taken into the red and it only takes about 5 1/2 gal.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #5  
For me it has varied according to RPM, naturally. When I am doing just loader work and associated tasks, I ussually run at about 1800-2000 RPM, getting about 2 hrs/gallon. Bumped up to 25-2600, only about 1.5/ hr. Using the BH and RPMs up at 3000, really working it, results in burning about a gallon per hour.
Like mslisaj, the fuel gauge seems to stay of full, then moderate drop to just below 1/2, then really drops. I have taken into the red and it only takes about 5 1/2 gal.

"Lsmt125owener" put my exact experiences into words. When loafing around at 2000 or so it sips fuel. Back hoe work I'm running at 2850 and that is where the fuel seems to go and that makes sense. Now this is an LS thing and I noted that you have a John Deere, when I was worried about running out of fuel that one time I could not empty completely a 5 gallon can of fuel. So I still had reserves.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #6  
Here's and update on fuel usage. Yesterday I did my biggest job yet with the backhoe as I dug a trench for a neighbor. This entire job took 4.9 hours of hard backhoe use with the RPM set at 2930. I ran that hoe hard about 98% of that time. I started with a full tank of fuel with the fuel up in the neck. When I got home I had a half full five gallon can of fuel and I poured that into the tank bringing the level back up into the neck. For the MT125 owners the gauge read between full and 3/4. So I would guess my fuel usage yesterday was probably about 6
5 to 6 tenths of a gallon an hour. This has been my experience with this tractor that is truly just sips fuel. I'm truly pleased with all the aspects of this tractor. Hope this helps.

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #7  
So you are saying 6 divided by 4.9 is equal to .5 to .6?

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)? #8  
So you are saying 6 divided by 4.9 is equal to .5 to .6?
I apologize for that typo. What I am saying was the tractor ran pretty hard for 4.9 hours straight and I only put in two and a half gallons of fuel to top it off again. So just finger math makes that a half gallon an hour. Hope that is clearer and again I apologize for the typo. :embarrassed: :ashamed:

/ Fuel Usage on the MT125 (or any Yanmar 3cyl, 25 HP)?
Filled the tank again yesterday at 55 hours. Up to that point, I figure I'd put a little over 20 gallons in since I got it. This latest 4 gallons should get me another 8-12 hours. I wasn't running full bore when I had the BH on, usually around 2500 or less. This last couple of weeks the BH has been off. I took the MMM off a few days ago. I've been running a mile or so over to a fallen tree and back hauling firewood either in the bucket or on a 4x8 trailer. I was running 2900 or better and in two wheel on the paved road.

Haven't done much tilling yet, so that may burn more.