Fueling With No Mess and No Trash

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
There have been several threads lately about fueling without a mess and without getting trash into the tractor tank. I use a giant funnel designed to quickly fuel racing cars while in the pit. Made by Jaz Products, it has an anti-splash ringed-lip which prevents fuel from splashing out the opposite side. They are much larger than the funnels available at tractor supply stores. I pour from the yellow 5 gal. Blitz 2-handled fuel jugs. This jug usually allows the diesel oil to drip down the side. With the racing funnel I can rotate the Blitz canister so that the spout is the lowest point and there's no drip. Of course the fuel is gushing out but the funnel's size and lip prevent fuel from sloshing out. I also have their optional 60 micron fast flow filter (not just a screen) which mounts in the bottom of the funnel. I initially was worried that diesel would not flow through this gasoline intended filter fast enough, but it does. I also had to trim the end of the funnel so it would fit my BX; the funnel is designed for this to be possible. To see the Jaz funnels and filter, click on the link below. Once this page loads you will then have to click on "Funnels" in the menu bar on the left side of the page.

Jaz Automotive Products

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash #2  
Really neat idea! Thanks for the post!

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash #3  
Neat...I don't see any pricing. What did you pay for the funnel and filter?

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash
They are different prices, depending upon from whom you buy. The URL I posted is the manufacturer; they are available only through retailers. I used the manufacturer's server search for a local dealer and located a racing supply store only 7 miles away. It took them about 2-3 days to get it in from their supplier. I got the 16" dia. funnel for something around $18 and the filter for about $8 (if I remember correctly-my memory isn't what it used to be-one of the disadvantages to getting old). If you do a Google search, you can find several racing or auto supply places that sell via internet.

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash #5  
I'm sure I'm missing something here as to what the basic problem is - perhaps someone can explain it in more detail? I have been using the el-cheapo plastic Blitz fuel cans available at your local Home Depot or Lowes and, apart from being kind of annoying and slow (the kind that has the auto-closing sheath around the nozzle that you have to hook onto the edge of the fill hole), have never had a problem with mess or trash. I did, admittedly, just recently buy a couple of fuel cans that are much easier to use. A little pricey maybe, but then so was the tractor.

/ Fueling With No Mess and No Trash
The Blitz and other plastic canisters have a tendency to drip fuel down the side if not rotated more than 90 degrees. The part about trash was related to some other threads which discussed using pumps to pump from larger fuel storage barrels or transfer it from the fuel tank of a diesel auto. Trash tends to accumulate in these over a period of time and if you run a suction hose to the bottom you're likely to suck up some debris. Some folks (lucky folks I should say) get enough seat time that they need larger fuel supplies than a couple of cans. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif