Funny if you are the one watching

/ Funny if you are the one watching
Prof....
jdparts.com shows a fuel shutoff solenoid assembly for the 375.

John Deere Fuel Shutoff Solenoid AM124377

You might look for it and check if the ignition switch activates it with/without voltage.
I will try to check it out. Not sure exactly how it is supposed to work. Should it energize to open fuel and then close when key is off?

/ Funny if you are the one watching #12  
Yes, the solenoid valve should have voltage across its terminals when the key is in the run or on position. Could either be switched ground or positive, but if you read across the two terminals you'll get a valid reading regardless.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #13  
I will try to check it out. Not sure exactly how it is supposed to work. Should it energize to open fuel and then close when key is off?

Sounds like bumpern has you covered but I would add that there are setups like Massey Ferguson tractors had a timer so that when you turn the key off it would energize the shutdown solenoid for 10-15 seconds. After the tractor is off you can hear the solenoid click back open several seconds later. Just something to be aware of.

Sounds like bumpern has you covered but I would add that there are setups like Massey Ferguson tractors had a timer so that when you turn the key off it would energize the shutdown solenoid for 10-15 seconds. After the tractor is off you can hear the solenoid click back open several seconds later. Just something to be aware of.
HMMMM now that throws a new twist on the possibilities. I will try to find its location on the machine and hit it with 12 volts and if it moves and which way. If it needs to be energize to allow fuel flow (as I assumed) then after sitting for so long you would expect it to be stuck closed if anything. The timer concept changes things.
Thank everybody

/ Funny if you are the one watching #15  
HMMMM now that throws a new twist on the possibilities. I will try to find its location on the machine and hit it with 12 volts and if it moves and which way. If it needs to be energize to allow fuel flow (as I assumed) then after sitting for so long you would expect it to be stuck closed if anything. The timer concept changes things.
Thank everybody

They're usually located not far from the injection pump.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #16  
Thank everybody

They're usually located not far from the injection pump.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #17  
Shutting off a fuel solenoid isn't going to kill the motor right away. Every ignition switch I've ever had to mess with kills the engine by causing a short to ground that shuts it off electrically. I can't say for certain that's your issue or that your machine even works that way but I would trace the wiring and look for a break somewhere. All that time sitting, I would bet that a mouse has chewed on at least some of the wiring so it should probably be gone through anyway. It might also be corrosion on the switch itself.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #18  
Shutting off a fuel solenoid isn't going to kill the motor right away. Every ignition switch I've ever had to mess with kills the engine by causing a short to ground that shuts it off electrically. I can't say for certain that's your issue or that your machine even works that way but I would trace the wiring and look for a break somewhere. All that time sitting, I would bet that a mouse has chewed on at least some of the wiring so it should probably be gone through anyway. It might also be corrosion on the switch itself.

A mechanically injected diesel engine requires no electronics to stay running. The standard way to shut one off is to remove fuel, usually via a manual knob or an electronic solenoid that pulls a lever on the pump removing fuel. You can also kill an engine by stalling it or cutting off the air supply (or running out of oil, etc), but there is no ignition system to "short out".

/ Funny if you are the one watching #19  
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that but I guess it makes sense since gasoline engines run on spark and diesels run on heat and compression. I think it's still worth checking for damaged wires since something will have to activate (or deactivate) the fuel solenoid.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that but I guess it makes sense since gasoline engines run on spark and diesels run on heat and compression. I think it's still worth checking for damaged wires since something will have to activate (or deactivate) the fuel solenoid.

Yes sir that is indeed my next plan. Working a lot of overtime right now though and this project is on the back burner. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
BTW - like your choice of tractor:)