G2742 Snowblower shear pins

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #11  
Went thru the same thing; Grade 5 bolts at TSC $2.99/pound. Anybody find a good way to index shaft and auger to make finding old bolt hole easier?

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #12  
Anyway, here they are-- same idea, but the bolts are longer; auger bolts have two grooves (one just into the threads) and the fan bolt only the one. This is for the M-F 2360 blower, which I believe is the same as for the Kubota BX series tractors. Heads are, as the manual suggests, 3-line (gr. 5) for the auger, 5-line (gr. 8) for the fan. Has anyone had to buy these yet? Price?

irvingj,

The last time I ordered some stuff from Messicks, I had them throw 20 shear bolts in for the auger (the ones in your picture) and I paid $1.58 each. When I included shipping with the other materials I ordered, it still came out cheaper than buying from my local dealer. I haven't had to replace many fan shear bolts, so my stock pile isn't low enough to order more yet, but I think they were closer to $1.00 the last time I bought them. I have way more than I need, but like you say....I don't want to run out in the middle of a storm. Guess how I know to have a stock of them on hand? :) Dyer, retired

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #13  
Thanks, Dyer-- Northwood did have a branch office in Enfield, about 4 miles from home, but with the economy the way it is the owner decided to close that office... now Northwood, NH is closest, at about 65 miles, I think. I'll have to get in touch with Rick to see what the price is. As you learned --the hard way, apparently--(is there any other way?), I'd like to have more than one set handy. My Toro walk-behind always blew its belts and/or auger bearings at the worst times, so I always (now) have a spare set! :D

Our 3-6" snowstorm... currently I have about a foot on the ground and it's still coming down. How'd you guys down south make out?

I'm going out shortly to begin: 1) Plug in 2310 block heater (it's been hard starting lately) 2) Don "snow suit"/portable cab --yeah, right....3) Get the Toro fired up and begin next to buildings... and go play in the snow.

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #14  
I still have original shear bolts and spares for the augurs, but I have gone thru a few for the fan. Went into local dealer with my last bolt and asked for more. He gave me grade five bolts rather than a grade 8 shear pin. They have thread all the way up where the previous had an unthreaded section at top. The new bolts were cheap, 10 with nylon locking nuts came to about $3.50. Are these an acceptable alternative? They aren't as tough as the grade 8 but will thread cause any damage to fan?

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #15  
Well, it happened yesterday afternoon.... Broke one of the auger shear pins on a large chunk of ice. THANKS TO THIS THREAD, I had my replacements ready & waiting and had a good idea of the procedure!! You guys are the best!

Fortunately, I didn't have any issues with the replacement; lift off the severed bolt head (nut end was history), find the hole, drift-punch the bolt's center section out, slip in the new one..... I get the feeling I was very lucky- took only about 10 minutes & at least five numb fingers.

A good thing, as we got another foot+ yesterday & last night.

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #16  
Well, it happened yesterday afternoon.... Broke one of the auger shear pins on a large chunk of ice. THANKS TO THIS THREAD, I had my replacements ready & waiting and had a good idea of the procedure!! You guys are the best!

Fortunately, I didn't have any issues with the replacement; lift off the severed bolt head (nut end was history), find the hole, drift-punch the bolt's center section out, slip in the new one..... I get the feeling I was very lucky- took only about 10 minutes & at least five numb fingers.

A good thing, as we got another foot+ yesterday & last night.

Congratulations! Murphy's Law dictates that the shear bolt will not be so easy to change out when it's 10 below zero.:D It looks like we got at least a foot here and the wind is howling out there. I'm guessing you were posting your last at 3:25 a.m. as you were gearing up to go clear some of that snow? I'm off to do the same. Dyer, retired

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins
So I went back to the same dealership and they wanted $0.89 for the same shear pin that I paid $12 for. I was not impressed. Oh well.

/ G2742 Snowblower shear pins #20  
Dyer-- Yep, you got it. My wife had to work yesterday, and has to leave at 0630. In between coming inside to warm up --fingers, mostly; I've always had a problem with that-- I spent most of the day blowing. Guess we got around 14", all told. Blower did great. Now tractor's over 50 hrs, so I have another project to move on to....

I did call Northwood yesterday; price on the factory shear pin was $1.98, so I asked to have 6 auger + 2 impeller ordered for me. Interestingly, the fellow I spoke with said they suggest just going to a hardware store and buying a grade 2 bolt to replace factory pins... For $2, I'd just as soon have the factory part, I guess, unless it's an emergency situation.

As far as tightening: Massey-Ferguson manual states 9 ft-lbs on the auger shear pins, which isn't a lot; I just "eyeballed" it to snug/hand-tight w/ratchet.

I can't believe they're calling for sleet/freezing rain/rain tonight & tomorrow, followed by MORE rain Saturday! :mad: