G5200 Overheat

/ G5200 Overheat #1  

carolskubota

Tractor
Kubota G5200, Snapper
I have had this mower for 10 yrs, and I have had rad check, new water pump, new thermo sensor, tightened belt, new cap, all done recently, and still boil over thru overflow tube, any suggestions. PS, belt has not been changed since I have had it, but looks good, but....

/ G5200 Overheat #2  
I have no idea what a G5200 is.... That said, after 10 years of service I would make sure the radiator is clean outside and in. It might be worth taking it to a good radiator shop. At the same time have the antifreeze tested for exhaust gasses. My guess is a clogged radiator or bad thermostat.

Good luck,

Gary

/ G5200 Overheat #3  
Make sure you have water flow, a new water pump does not mean a good pump.

/ G5200 Overheat #4  
Hey, I've got one of them also. Mine is about 20 years old. Same problem as you at times. Changed the thermostat, several times. Everything else checked out fine. Still will boil out the overflow on hot days. I found it worse when I ran the anti-freeze above a 50/50 mix.

Mine boils out when I shut the engine down on a hot day, not usually when the engines running. I always figured it was from lack of airflow through the rad. that allowed the temp to rise.

Don't you love the solid gold battery Kubota designed to fit. I modifed the mounts so I could fit a NAPA battery at about half the price.

I have a snowblower and mount to fit a G5200 to sell if you know anyone interested.

Dave.

/ G5200 Overheat
Good to hear all this great info. The mower is approx. 20-21 yrs. old, I've had for 10yrs. It has been a great mower. After about 3 years, we modified the battery to it's own steel built compartment in the front of the mower, and has a 650 cold cranking Interstate. I tried those kubota batteries, they don't hold up(8 months to be exact), and is a little more expensive than the Interstate, the only thing is when I need this particular battery, I have to order it, and it takes a few days before it comes in. Oh well, grass will just have to wait. I like the warranty on this battery and is does last(this one I have now is in its 3rd year, and still going. During the winter though, I run it at least 2 times a month, just to keep the charge(I live in South Louisiana, and sometimes we are cutting grass in Dec.) Getting back to moving the battery, we did this because we found it was running hotter than it should have been. This helped for several years, then had the rad checked and flushed about 2 seasons ago, and at the end of last season, it began running hot, and only when you turn the mower off would it leak thru the overflow valve. I purchased a new thermostat, new rad cap, new water pump, and flushed the rad, all and no help. So today, I was going to do another flush to the system, and low and behold the drain cock on the motor, near the dip stick, broke off in the motor. Kinda glad it did, there was rust plugging up the drain hole. Now I will have to wait for the hubby to come in this weekend, so he can drill and tap (I don't know how to do this) what's left of the drain cock in the motor, but this gives me a good idea as to what may be the problem with the mower, rust in the bottom of mower. I sure thought this would have showed up already. I will keep you updated. Also, I have found a site on the web, where I purchase my kubota parts very reasonable, www.tractorsmart.com
I have a parts book for mine, and I go to the site, punch in my numbers, and it gives you any updated parts numbers, and price of that part. Thanks to all, and will keep you updated on the progress.

/ G5200 Overheat #6  
I've priced parts there also. My dealer is always very close to their pricing so most times for my Kubota's I get the parts from him. Kubota has a warehouse in Columbus so what he dosen't have usually comes in the next day.

My mower has been used hard through the years on the farm, many times for things it was not intended to be used for. Looks like it has been through several wars and has given a workout for the welder at times but still runs great.

DrB..

/ G5200 Overheat
Update on G5200 overheat. Apparently it was the cylinder head gasket on it. We had the head magnafluxed and resurfaced and it was good(cost $54.50). We also replaced the head cover gasket, manifold gasket, exhaust gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket(cost $42.35). I also took someone's suggestion from the forum of a old gas can and putting 1 gallon antifreeze and 1 gallon water in it, this way you know you have a 50/50 mix for the radiator. The head when putting back on takes 32lbs torque. Hope this helps.

/ G5200 Overheat #8  
I just bought a G5200 apx 1 month ago and it is a very well built unit. Mine has 530 hours on it and everything works perfect. The paint was a bit faded and the hood had a few dents but overall in great shape. I repainted the whole unit and fixed the hood and put all new decals on , looks like it just rolled off the kubota plant line. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it or keep it. Any thoughts what it might be worth?

/ G5200 Overheat
I paid $3000 for mine 10 years ago and someone said it was a good buy, they were right. We spent about 500 in it, painting and fixing body work and making it look brand new, and about every other year since, we take off the deck and repaint and check. We flush the rad, and use a 50/50 mix, we grease it at least 2 times during cutting season. It looks great and kept inside our shop, and after every cut, sometimes twice a week during cutting season, I always wash. My mom purchased a TG1860 in 1999, at a price of $6500, and her mower does not compare to mine. Her deck is a different set up as mine, and she has replaced belts ever year sometimes twice, and has went thru at least 3 sets of blades to my one. (Also, she is bad for cutting around trees and driveways, where I have a gas snapper I use for trees and driveways and this is alot of the problem, especially with blade use.) Hers also has a problem with not cranking sometimes and has been in the shop, but nothing was ever found. I think it is the safety switch under the seat myself, but the dealership said they checked that. Anyways, I am going to order her one next time I make and order at tractorsmart.com. As for putting a price on it, I wouldn't sell. I just had the head checked on this at least 20 year old machine, and the guy said it was in great shape for the age. But this is all in how you take care of it. My brother on the other hand has a JD Diesel(I think 2300 series and about the same age as the g5200) and he has spent mega bucks on it, but they jump on it, shave the grass, and put it up.

/ G5200 Overheat #10  
hey carlskubota,

having the same problem with mine. what made you think head gasket? the dealer thought the same thing and ran a compression check and some other check for it and it passed. but they are telling me they can figure it out either. so.........

any major problems getting the head off to replace the gasket?