Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #1  

chilbun28

Tractor
John Deere 5075E
Hi, I have a gannon grader box and my hydraulic cylinder is shot. Pitted bad on the inside and not repairable. Part # 13534-1. Anyone know of a like for like replacement for the cylinder? OEM is out of this world expensive. Thanks.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #2  
You should be able to find a suitable replacement fairly easily, but for it to be a 'drop in' replacement you'd have to match up a fair number of specs, such as.. (inhales deeply)

Cylinder inside diameter
Cylinder rod diameter
Cylinder stroke length
Attachment style of each end (clevis yoke/rod end/etc)
Inside or outside width of each end, depending on style.
Pin diameter of each end
Fluid port sizes

Maybe another one or two im forgetting? It's a bit of a job for someone new to cylinders, but you could also take the cylinder to any old hydraulics repair shop and say 'find/make me one' and they'll charge you money to skip the hard part and just hand you something that will work. Time vs money, story of our lives..

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #3  
There is a forum member here that builds hydraulic cylinders. I think he's "MtnViewRanch" or close to that.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #4  
Odds are, it was an off the shelf cylinder that Gannon made to work for their application. Check with surplus center and try to match one of theirs.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #5  
It is not an off the shelf unit, it is-was made specifically for that purpose, both internally as well as externally.

That's not to say that something can't be adapted to get by, but it will not be like the unit that is supposed to be there and may cause other issues.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #6  
You didn't list your general location, so this may not help - the re-seal kits are easy

But if the cylinder itself is pitted INSIDE, there STILL might be a solution - not cheap, but MAYBE cheaper than new, I've never had this done (just read about it) -

There are special wire feed welders that are made to build up the INSIDE of cylinders - again, I've no experience only curiosity - the "torch" for these special welders has a 90 degree, ROTATING head that is machine controlled - so it can lay down a continuous spiral bead INSIDE a cylinder; then the cylinder can be RE-BORED to original specs.

Again, I doubt it'd be cheap, but MIGHT be less expensive than a new replacement - There's a member here that may have more info on this

If ANYONE can help with this it'd be him. Good luck... Steve

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #7  
That would be a bore spray application. The company I recently worked for makes there own. Chrysler and Ford use them for cylinder walls instead of steel sleeves. Contact a few hydraulics shops. The cutter shop I worked at had a few tool designs with cylinders. We would often have them re chromed and re grind them.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #8  
Is all of the pitting damage to the cylinder bore? Or do you have other issues, I find it would be overall water in the cylinder with other parts affected as well. if you can bore it out without thinning the walls down too much you may save yourself some money.

I have one of these on my Gannon box blade and can vouch for Brian, Mt View Ranch being well aware of this specialized cylinder. It has ports in the piston to make it function correctly.

I would assess the box blades condition if it is in good shape with a long life ahead then buying the cylinder may be the best solution.

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #9  
what is the OEM cost? Everything is getting out of sight today,

/ Gannon grader box hydraulic cylinder for ripper shanks #10  
Hi, I have a gannon grader box and my hydraulic cylinder is shot. Pitted bad on the inside and not repairable. Part # 13534-1. Anyone know of a like for like replacement for the cylinder? OEM is out of this world expensive. Thanks.
Where are you located? I may have something for you.