Garage Door Surface

/ Garage Door Surface #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Greetings,

The outer layer of our garage door is peeling. Looks like a very thin vaneer, probably wood. Is there a way to patch this without replacing the whole door?

Thanks,

Rod

/ Garage Door Surface #3  
You could probably use a good waterproof wood glue, something like Gorilla glue. The only problem is going to be how to clamp it and hold down the part that is pealing away while the glue dries. Maybe glue it and a couple of staples.

/ Garage Door Surface #4  
Pictures will help a lot in giving good advice. Is the door flat surfaced or does it have recessed areas?

Flat areas can be resurfaced cheaply with thin plywood or the white pebble grain fiberglass panels. Recessed panels will be far more tricky. You could always cover over the recessed type and make it a flat front door.

/ Garage Door Surface
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I don't have any pictures but I have to say you have already given me some good ideas. Its a smooth door so I should be able to slice the damge off in a straight line and glue either wood, fiberglass, or some miracle material. Then a quick coat of paint and its on to the next project.

But please feel free to offer additional advice if you've got it.

Thanks,

Rod

/ Garage Door Surface #6  
Some years back, my old wood garage doors did the same thing. When I asked the garage door people about it, they said it sounds like moisture had gotten inside the plywood and loosened up the glue. My garage is insulated all the way around. When they said that, I knew what the problem was. I would come home from snowmobiling and park the sleds inside the garage and they still have snow on them. I have since installed metal, insulated garage doors and I leave the insulated, ceiling door to the storage attic above open during those times the snowmobiles might be in the garage "wet". Could moisture be a problem for your enviroment?

/ Garage Door Surface
Yes - moisture is definitely the problem. The peeling is taking place at the one corner where the gutters splash over in a hard rain. Also gets very little light in that corner so it tends to stay damp. The top layer -- probably about 1/8 inch thick -- is separating from the rest of the wood. It looks more like some pressed composite rather than plywood. Someone suggested scraping away the layer and then gluing some plexiglass or fiberglass over the area. Once painted, it should blend right in. But I'm also considering using plastic wood or some sort of weather-proof spackling. Once sanded it should fit right in and it will take less prep. I really don't want to replace the whole door if a $20 solution will work.