Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Garbage Pickers - er, \"Recyclers\" Report

Seeing the signature tag "Conniseur of all things junky" makes me smile. I've been impressed by the resoursefullness of the members of this forum in turning a sow's ear into a silk purse. I've always loved taking somebody's cast-offs and repair/refurbish them into working condition. I've also been amazed by what folks will dump into the garbage. Some of my best finds have been a working 27" color TV, two dehumidifiers, two contractor's wheelbarrows, and whole house fan. I've always been a garbage picker - er "Recycler". My wife hates it when I slow down for big piles of stuff put out for the trash. I know it isn't a doctorly thing to do, and maybe that's what drives my wife crazy, but a good find makes my week. She's threatened me with significant harm if I'm seen pulling something out of my subdivision neighbor's trash.

I know there's more folk like me on this forum. What's your greatest find in trash-picking?

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #2  
Re: Garbage Pickers - er, \"Recyclers\" Report

Chris,In my business we call that "road kill"! Best find was a rare mini-bike like the shriner's clowns would ride. Sold it on Ebay for $1650.00 and it was not running and missing parts! Find lots of good furniture and other antiques.

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #3  
Re: Garbage Pickers - er,

nothing great but worth picking:

patio furniture=needed cleaning

am/fm tape deck boom box= found broken power board and soldered wire across crack

24" aluminum dirt rake= just used

gas grill= put on new valve

lotsa scrap aluminum that I give to friend who turns in about
500lbs a year

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #4  

Haven't taken advantage of it yet, but since I work in a university town, I have heard that when graduation time gets near many of the about-to-enter-the-real-worlders often will just give up trying to sell their appliances, etc. These end up on the curb. I've seen what appear to be pretty decent washers and dryers out there.

Chuck

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #5  
Re: Ahem

In these parts it's called hunting season. Also, I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as JUNK. There is JUNQUE, witch is what wives call supplies we just haven't gotten around to using yet, usually to make something she wants.
I really miss Spring Cleanup season since my town no longer has spring pickup.

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #6  

Esky
Surf Ski
Record Player

All sorts of great things.......

A great pasttime !!

Cheers

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #7  

I pick up window A/Cs and fix them to put in my rent trailers. 80% of them just need the coils cleaned. I don't re-gas them or buy new fan motors, if they don't clean up and work I just set them by the curb for the next guy. I used to buy refrigerators that one of the local junkers refurbish but there are too many flood refrigerators for that right now.

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #8  

Best find? That would be my Jeep. Guy was so pissed off at it when the clutch went, that he through a chipper chute through the rear window. Then he put a sign in the window saying "free jeep". A guy my wife works with lives next door, and told her about it. Been using it for about 3 years now./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #9  

DocHeb

My wife really gets PO'd at me, usually because I make her get out and grab the stuff. (I'm driving after all). So far:

2 working vaccuum cleaners.
Toaster and Electric Can opener-- (Gave to brother in law)
Various couches and chairs (the old stuff can be stripped apart and the hardwood frames salvaged. Then throw out the stuffing, covering and springs).
Various tools and flashlights.
Lawn mower

Along the expressway I have seen, but not stopped for-- a 16' extension ladder, folding lawn furniture, toys, ice chests, etc.

SHF

/ Garbage Pickers - er, "Recyclers" Report #10  

It never ceases to amaze me at the stuff you see/find along the road.

One would think that people just willy-nilly throw things out. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Terry