garden/lawn tractor, small box speed mover (dirt)?

/ garden/lawn tractor, small box speed mover (dirt)? #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I am considering building a small box scraper like a speed mover, gage wheels and a tongue, to work behind a garden/lawn tractor,
some thing like this unit, but a little narrower and smaller, more in line with garden tractor, http://www.goearthworx.com/products/smallscraper/images/4' Box Scraper Spec Sheet.pdf or RB 400 Electric Box Scraper

the larger tractor operated units us a hydraulic cylinder to raise to dump the dirt and to lower the blade, as well depending on how one wants to spread it, a very small lift,

the size would be about 36" wide, and 8 inches or so of blade, I am reasonably sure the old 111 JD tractor would not even pull that full,

since the tractor does not have hydraulics, how would you make the lift? use a linear actuator, (I have never used one) and seem expensive) surplus center in the $180 range,

a little lower cost would be a RV electric trailer jack, and modify it so it will work like an actuator, would,

(now my guess there would not be any easy way to put stop on it like collars on a hydraulic cylinder, the jack would have more lift capacity, and I would think more in general strength, as the linear actuator, this could be over come by making a gauge one could see easily to reset the box depth,

second Idea would be to use manual levers,

I have drawn up a series of two levers that would over center and hold one for the cutting depth and one for dumping, the one for the cutting depth would have a cam to adjust the depth easily (this is all on paper not tested).

I was wanting this to be simple enough for my grand son to run, so operating leavers could be a problem form the seat of the tractor, but also concerned about a consistent set on the blade depth.

and when one goes to dump you want a reasonable fast lift, so the dirt does not get spread all over the county side if you truing to fill a hole,

what are your thoughts,

/ garden/lawn tractor, small box speed mover (dirt)? #2  
Trailer jacks usually have all their strength when extending and aren't designed to pull.

Bruce

/ garden/lawn tractor, small box speed mover (dirt)? #3  
Here's a link to a thread which may prove of interest:

The mini carry/drag scraper we built continues to be much utilised & in practice the hyd cyl (which can too be replaced by a 3PL screw type top link) is largely a nice to have rather than a necessity as it's easier/quicker with the long drawbar to reverse the unit to empty material than use the hydraulic cyl-

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/266836-diy-home-built-scraper-pan.html