Garden tiller suggestions

/ Garden tiller suggestions #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I am looking at purchasing a rear tine tiller sometime in the near future. I want to keep it under $800 and from the looking I have been doing there are a lot of different brands out there. So far I have looked at the following brands which have counter-rotating tines. Cub Cadet, Troy-bilt, Yard Machines, Craftsman, Husqvarna. The Husqvarna says it has a 10 inch depth whereas the others only show to be 6 - 7 inch. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above brands. Prices were all pretty close ranging from around $650 to $799. Part of this garden has been tilled in the past, but I plan on expanding it which of course is covered in grass. Thanks for any responses.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #2  
Why not put a tiller on your tractor.
I got this one new for 1100 bucks.

I am looking at purchasing a rear tine tiller sometime in the near future. I want to keep it under $800 and from the looking I have been doing there are a lot of different brands out there. So far I have looked at the following brands which have counter-rotating tines. Cub Cadet, Troy-bilt, Yard Machines, Craftsman, Husqvarna. The Husqvarna says it has a 10 inch depth whereas the others only show to be 6 - 7 inch. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above brands. Prices were all pretty close ranging from around $650 to $799. Part of this garden has been tilled in the past, but I plan on expanding it which of course is covered in grass. Thanks for any responses.

/ Garden tiller suggestions
I bought a 5' KK last year and oh how the wife had a fit. I am talking a fit!!!!! Needless to say she won that battle and I returned it without even getting it unloaded from the truck. Oh well. It would be a lot easier for me to transport a smaller tiller down to the parents, etc instead of loading the tractor and everything else on my 16 ft trailer.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #4  
   / Garden tiller suggestions #5  
I bought a 5' KK last year and oh how the wife had a fit. I am talking a fit!!!!! Needless to say she won that battle and I returned it without even getting it unloaded from the truck. Oh well. It would be a lot easier for me to transport a smaller tiller down to the parents, etc instead of loading the tractor and everything else on my 16 ft trailer.

Let her go till the garden and do the yard work the tractor would do. She'll change her miind if you set the situation up correctly!

Craig

/ Garden tiller suggestions #6  
I had this same question last year on a tiller purchase.I found that a good walk behind tiller can run from $1,000 up to $3,000.I chose to buy a 3pt. tiller for my tractor and have no regrets with my choice,its much easier on my old bones setting on the tractor.LOL.coobie

Last edited:
   / Garden tiller suggestions #7  
If I am not mistaken, Cub Cadet and Troybilt brands are owned by the same parent, MTD. NOt sure who makes the Yard-Man or Craftsman.

I have had a Troy Bilt I bought in the 1980's that still runs with no problems. I brought a smaller Troy Bilt (4HP I think) a couple of years ago to get between my rows and broke two tines. Also, the hinge on the sheet metal tine cover on the new one came apart. I am not pleased with the quality of the new one. Hasn't had that much use, either.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #8  
Buy a tiller for your tractor. It won't be all that much more than the $800. You will be far better off, unless you have to till someplace you can't get the tractor mounted tiller into.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #10  
I have the troy bilt pro series that Lowes sells. Pretty good tiller for the money ~$700; is counter rotating. But doesn't have the beefy handles like the old troy bilts. If I could have found a good old one, I'd rather have bought that. But, they are few are far between for sale.

One thing I don't like about it, and maybe it's endemic in all rear-tines, is that it doesn't dig nearly as deep a my old cheapo craftsman front tine. But the rear tine CR sure does make for fine soil.

I found that it is too big for some spots and I bought a little Mantis. Man that little 2-stroke does a real nice job weeding!