Garden Tilling

/ Garden Tilling #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
Just wondering what is the average rate for garden tilling?? Do you charge more for a new garden than an existing one?? Hourly rate or bid??

I will be using the JD 3320 ehydro with JD 665 tiller // R4 tires.

Location is small town in central Illinois.

I have liability insurance.

Thanks

John

/ Garden Tilling #2  
I always just gave a bid of $30 per hour with a one hour minumim. It has worked well for me. I don't live very far from you if that helps. A customer told me that to rent a Troy built was $60 dollars per day. I can till a large area in 2 hours for $60. I use a Deere 755 and a caroni 56 inch tiller. It may seem high until you figure how much your equipment costs and fuel.

/ Garden Tilling
That is very close to the prices that I have gathered elsewhere. Thanks for the input.

BTW what do you think of this crazy weather we are having???
I am getting ready to go back to work in Decatur.

Thanks

John

/ Garden Tilling #4  
Here's a basic idea of how I charge:
figure out the life expectancy of the equipment, then divde the price of that equipment by that number i.e. tractor cost $20000 expected service 2000 hours. $10 per hour. tiller cost $2500, expected life 500 hours. $5 per hour, then add your hourly rate for labor of $15 or what ever you feel your time is worth. then estimate the hours for the job and add it all up. may add over head costs in too if needed.

/ Garden Tilling #5  
Here's a basic idea of how I charge:
figure out the life expectancy of the equipment, then divde the price of that equipment by that number i.e. tractor cost $20000 expected service 2000 hours. $10 per hour. tiller cost $2500, expected life 500 hours. $5 per hour, then add your hourly rate for labor of $15 or what ever you feel your time is worth. then estimate the hours for the job and add it all up. may add over head costs in too if needed.

/ Garden Tilling #6  
Wow, do you guys want to sub for me? My equipment won't even start for twice that. What happens when a large rock takes out the tiller or PTO? Was the $30 worth it?

I can understand it if your doing something for a friend or neighbor... but gees.

/ Garden Tilling #7  
I have a TC 40 with 6 ft tiller and I wouldn't even unload my tractor and tiller for less than $50 per hour. And this year with the price of fuel at $3.59 per gallon I'll probably raise my rate some. For some of my neighbors I charge less just to be neighborly. Some people will try bargen with you, but I never had one that wouldn't pay.
Just my 2 cents worth.

/ Garden Tilling #8  
I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the sq ft. 0 to 3000 sq ft is $40. This takes me about an hour to do 2 passes. Over 3000 sq ft is $1 per each 100 sq ft. This is for previously tilled/cultivated ground and I use a Farmtrac 4ft tiller, usually on my JD455.

I charge 1.5x for untilled ground. For this I'll usually use the same tiller on my JD2520, but will box-blade with scarifiers down first. I've pulled up concrete blocks, huge rocks, car parts, 2x4's, you name it. A lot of suburban lots here filled with construction rubble

My tilling rates are cheap for here in western NY state. Walk behind 16" tillers here rent for $75/day or $50/4 hrs. For backhoe/loader work I'll charge a $125/2hr minimum and $50/hr each additional this year. My tractors sip fuel, but my truck's a real gas hog plus I do have liability insurance. If this was more than just evening/weekend side business, all my rates might be higher.

/ Garden Tilling #10  
drtydeed said:
Wow, do you guys want to sub for me? My equipment won't even start for twice that. What happens when a large rock takes out the tiller or PTO? Was the $30 worth it?

I can understand it if your doing something for a friend or neighbor... but gees.

+1
Seriously, you are losing money, you aren't even paying for the equipment, much less making some money.

I can rip 1 acre an hour, and I never just till virgin soil, it gets ripped first. Much too hard on the tiller (existing gardens or loose soil don't need to be ripped).
I can till 1 acre every 2 hours.

multiply times your hourly rate.