/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
Ok.... I screwed up my last post. Posted as onion scapes

So.....
How do you use garlic scapes?
My wife grinds them up in a bullet. Mixes in avacodo and onion.
Great dip.

/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #2  
I guess I dont know what a garlic /onion scape is? Care to explain?

/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #5  
Garlic scapes are delicious! I am going to try to dip that was suggested above. We use them several ways, easiest is to toss them in some olive oil, hit with salt and pepper and throw on the grill, let them get a little burned, but not too much. We also cook ramps with the leaves that way. You can also sauté them in a pan on the stove.
And we make a pesto out of them too, we do toss in some basil if we have enough in the garden. Scapes, basil, pine nuts (or walnuts) toasted, Parmesan cheese, olive oil. Serve it on pasta or spread it on toasted bread. We also use the pesto to make grilled pesto chicken.
Interesting that you are posting this question now. Scapes are usually available in early July here in Upstate NY. I pick all of them off so the garlic bulb gets all the plants energy.
Edit, I have also pickled them, but they are a little chewy. Sort of like a tough Dilly Green Bean.

/ Garlic Scapes anyone??
Had homemade spaghetti sauce with chopped up scapes last night. My wife freezes the scapes and pulls out a piece or two when needed. chops them up and puts them in the sauce.

/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #8  
Scapes are really the best (only?) reason to grow garlic. Love them in mashed potatoes.

/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #9  
My wife chops them into one inch pieces and adds them to stir fry at the same time as the onions and peppers. They add some crispy crunch if you want. Subtle garlic flavor is added.

/ Garlic Scapes anyone?? #10  
Had a tempur batter fried appetizer earlier this year at a local restaurant, tasty...

scapes.jpg