Gas cooktop - Where's the heat?

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat?
I'll get some pics tonight. The vendor said they changed it over before they brought it, and I called today and they confirmed with their notes. let me know what i need to check to confirm. I do have a card of burner jets, because i can't spell the o word... It seems to me that i have flame control from low up to around midway of the dial. I don't really see a perceptive change in flame height from midway to high.

If I'm remembering correctly the burner or-face... jet size on the burners that I could read is around .75-.80.

I just found this link for a different stove and it looks like it suggests my jet size would be around 8k BUTs?

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #12  

You can go to that link and download the spec sheet. It gives you the BTU output for each burner, but not the orifice size.

To convert the regulator, you unscrew the cap the reverse the poppet and reinstall. One direction is Nat Gas and the other is propane. It's worth having someone check it.

I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that someone changed the burner orifices but overlooked the regulator.

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #13  
It sounds like you might not be that familiar with converting a cooktop. Since it's a new house, I'd suggest that you ask the installer to make a service call and have someone verify that the it was converted properly and checks out ok.

I left a message for the service manager. That is going to be my request. I don't mind changing jets if that's it but I don't really want to mess with the regulator if I can help it.

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #15  
The regulator is way easier than changing the orifices on 5 burners. But it's new -- let them check it.

The regulator has a cap that let's you access the pressure set screw. Under that cap is a little plastic spacer that gets inserted one direction for NG and the other direction for propane. I think mine was color coded on the Jenn-air that we installed. Jenn-air and Whirlpool and Maytag are all the same.

Only concern with changing the orifices is that if you drop one down into the housing, you have to fish it out (difficult) or take the whole cooktop surface off in order to retrieve it.

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #16  
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but what dia pipe runs from the tank to the stove? According to our gas company, it should be at least 1/2, preferably 3/4.

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #17  
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but what dia pipe runs from the tank to the stove? According to our gas company, it should be at least 1/2, preferably 3/4.
Depends on the distance and layout, but I really doubt that's the problem. If it's sized even close to right, using one burner wouldn't max it out. It would have to be several sizes too small before one burner could cause a pressure drop beyond what's expected.

You do raise a good question though -- is everything else in the NEW house working ok? We don't have a wider problem stemming from the tank or tank regulators do we?

Everything else is doing good. Have a gas fireplace and whole house tankless water heater that has run 3 showers and dishwasher all at the same time at least once since we have been there. It's 199k BTU. Propane guy said what he did should supply 1.5million BTU. I take that with a grain of salt, but so far there has been no evidence of lack of flow.

Stove has I think 3/4 running to it. No difference in burner output regardless of number of burners on.

A couple of low and high pics.

20240213_172230.jpg20240213_172233.jpg20240213_172259.jpg20240213_172303.jpg

/ Gas cooktop - Where's the heat? #20  
We've had gas (Propane) stove since 1998 and a couple things to make sure of. 1. that that steel dispersion ring is centered properly so that the flame is dispersed evenly. Even a little off and it will distort the flame. The flame looks a little distorted in your pic, not bad though. 2. Open windows where there is a draft can really affect the the flame more than you would think.

My wife loves her gas stove and would never willingly go back to electric. 15 minutes to boil that amount of water, something is definitely not right.