Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower?

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #1  

db556

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jeep Wrangler / gravely 5240
Well I see a 6ft flail mower has shown up on my local marketplace cheap,

Now I'm wondering how big of stand alone gas engine would you think would be required to run it well 18hp, 25hp, 30hp?
This wouldn't be PTO powered as its going on the front of my mini skid steer (toro TX1000)

I have a 25hp predator sitting on the shelf that I was going to use to make a heavy duty 5ft flail mower with, but this 6ft is cheap enough to spend a whole week welding.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #2  
If you have 25 HP I would try it. Just have to drive a little slower vs 30 HP.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #3  
Chapman a British Co has a tow flail mower but I can't recall it's engine hp. That could be found on there web page. It does have a clutch which I would have if I was building one. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower?
I was planning on a electric dual vbelt clutch from a zero turn.

I did have a 4ft mott tow behind flail with a 18hp on it and it work great but I kept on loosing blades

The next flail I'll have to weld on bigger mounts and put on hammers.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #6  
Do your homework on what rpm is needed for the mower. I'd imagine that you'll need to reduse the 3600 rpm (approximate) engine speed to something slower and the more "drivetrain" that you could remove (if it's currently a 540 PTO setup) the more power to the actual cutting.
Do a build thread👍
Should be a cool project.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #7  
Chapman a British Co has a tow flail mower but I can't recall it's engine hp. That could be found on there web page. It does have a clutch which I would have if I was building one. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
The Chapman FM PRO features industry-leading Fuel Injected 23hp Honda Fuel Injected iGX700 V-Twin Engines, which offer unparalleled power and performance in their class for the best results.

The FM PRO models are fitted with forged hammer flails as standard, proven to cope with the most demanding growth, with a cleaner, more reliable cut in 4 and 5ft configurations.

/ Gas engine HP for a 6ft flail mower? #8  
Well I see a 6ft flail mower has shown up on my local marketplace cheap,

Now I'm wondering how big of stand alone gas engine would you think would be required to run it well 18hp, 25hp, 30hp?
This wouldn't be PTO powered as its going on the front of my mini skid steer (toro TX1000)

I have a 25hp predator sitting on the shelf that I was going to use to make a heavy duty 5ft flail mower with, but this 6ft is cheap enough to spend a whole week welding.
Depends what you want to cut - on my land, a lowland marsh, cutting rushes 3ft high will bog down my 70hp Zetor tractor unless you slow down to 1 or 2 mph! That's with a 6ft Turner extreme heavy duty flail mower that weighs over 15 cwt (1700lbs).
Cutting grassland in a more arid climate than west wales, I expect 25-30 hp might be OK.