Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
We have a three-burning Char-Broil gas grill. We smell gas coming from somewhere. We've coated everything with soapy water several times but see no bubbles. I thought it might be leaking at the burner but don't know how to test that. Can you give me some advice on what to look for?

Thanks

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #2  
Years ago I had a Char-Broil that had some valve issues. I called Char-Broil, and they sent me all new valves, and a call tag to ship the old valves back for research. If you smell it when the grill is turned off, its either leaking from the tank/regulator connection or from the valves.

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #4  
Silly qestion. Do you turn the tank valve off then not in use?

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #6  
Years ago I had a Char-Broil that had some valve issues. I called Char-Broil, and they sent me all new valves, and a call tag to ship the old valves back for research. If you smell it when the grill is turned off, its either leaking from the tank/regulator connection or from the valves.
Only a few places for a leak on a gas grill. I'd guess the valve stems.

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #7  
yes -- it doesn't leak when the valve is off

thanks

It doesn't leak when the tank valve is off?... or doesn't leak when the grill valves are off? Do you shut the gas tank valve off when not in use?

If the burners are burning correctly and you shut the three valves off, do all the flames go out? If so I would thing the valves are alright and not leaking through. I have seen a gas valve bleed through over time but maybe not enough to lite up..

Your soapy water should tell if the valve bodies themselves leak. I am sure you checked connection on the propane tank and the whole hose.

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #8  
It doesn’t tell us anything if the valve is off......it has about 5. Are you talking about the valve that supplies gas to the BBQ or the valves that sans gas to the burners?

You can’t test the valves with the burners in place. Pull the burner tube so you can see the orifice at the end of the valve. Next pull the cover plates around the knobs so you can test the stems. Beyond that as stated above their are only a few other connections.

YouTube is your friend on this one- Your brand is common enough that they will have plenty of videos

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #9  
It doesn’t tell us anything if the valve is off......it has about 5. Are you talking about the valve that supplies gas to the BBQ or the valves that sans gas to the burners?

You can’t test the valves with the burners in place. Pull the burner tube so you can see the orifice at the end of the valve. Next pull the cover plates around the knobs so you can test the stems. Beyond that as stated above their are only a few other connections.

YouTube is your friend on this one- Your brand is common enough that they will have plenty of videos

Figure the only stress point other than the tank connection is in the valve stem (kinda like a gate valve in a plumbing connection). But agree you have to take off the cover plates (no big deal) and while there may as well check the hose connection to the manifold.

/ Gas grill leaking --can't find source, need suggestions #10  
My favorite way to check for propane leaks is with a match. Of course I would not recommend it to anybody - might do away with yourself and neighborhood. But I hate using soapy water - too messy. A match is nice and clean. - Again don't do it. Anyone else use a match to check for small leaks? :D:laughing: