Gas grill opinions

/ Gas grill opinions #1  

bdeboer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2402D
I am looking for a new gas grill, and want something that will last. The cheaper ones seem to last 2-3 years before burner replacement. I also want something that doesn't have issue with hot spots etc.

There is a local Holland dealer, but I am not sure if I want to spend that much. They use a convection oven principle, how much longer do they take to cook?

I read an older thread where the Weber Genesis grills were well liked. How well do they hold up?

What about other brands like Jenn-Air?

Thanks,

/ Gas grill opinions
I do have a Weber Kettle charcoal grill and like it for the indirect cooking. Just do not always want to wait on it for burgers etc.

/ Gas grill opinions #3  
My experience is with several of the cheap ones and one Weber Genesis gas grill.

The cheap ones lasted about 2 years before they rusted out. My Weber is 10 years old and works fine. The Weber stays out in the weather (rain, snow, etc.) and has held up great.

Although my Weber is not broke, I am going to replace it soon -- I'm going to go with a permanent natural gas one. The new one will be a Weber.

Other than durability, the Weber has great burner control... something the cheaper ones really suck at.

/ Gas grill opinions #4  
I have been researching drop in style gas grills for a outdoor kitchen I am in the process of building. The list of gas grill manufacturers is daunting to say the least.
I have read very good reviews of Weber grills. They say that they are the best in regards to even heating. The Genesis or the Summit are both supposed to be good grills. Unfortunately for me Weber does not make a drop in style grill. If they did it would be a no brainer.
I currently own a Char-Broil Commercial Series grill. Not the greatest for even heating, but has held up well for the last four years. Can't say that I'm disappointed in the least bit.

Mark

Last edited:
   / Gas grill opinions #5  
The basic Holland grill is worth the price of admission - still grilling on one owned since 1992 and expect it to last at least another 10 years. As for cooking time on it - as an example, 4 - 1 1/4" rib-eyes cooked to medium (pink center) will take approx. 35-40 minutes (add 5-10 minutes in winter) after preheating grill 10 minutes. The meat, etc. will not have that charcoal-taste cooked on a Holland, but you won't have flare-ups or worry about burning anything. I've cooked everything from oysters to turkeys on it, and you don't have to stand over it and watch it. As Dave says, "If you're looking, you're not cooking".
P.S. I keep a cheap charcoal grill for when I want that open-fire flavor.

/ Gas grill opinions #6  
If you find a good, long lasting gas grill be sure to let the group know. I've been looking for a new grill and have at least found that many seem to have standardized on the tubular stainless steel burners. I don't know how long those last, but they should at least be cheaper to replace. My four burner Brinkman used cast iron burners which decomposed in two years and are more expensive to replace than about 2/3 the original price of the unit. I knew when I got it that it was not a great grill, but it had a rotisserie and was stainless steel, relatively cheap and I figured it would last at least twice as long as it did. In fact, it is still working great....as a charcoal grill!

Chuck

/ Gas grill opinions #7  
as one might think I think I know the answer to every subject:D I have to say that IMO the Charbroil Commercial series has been the best lasting Gas grill I've ever owned, its a 4 burner stainless steel, although no Fancy side pot/pan burner
which I never use anyway. I'd rather have the workspace to sit something down on, I purchased this grill 10 years ago and still expect 10 more years from it, I give just over 400 for it back in 2000, although they're costing much much more than that now, a cooking grill is one of them things you need to buy at end of season to get the best deals,:thumbsup:

/ Gas grill opinions #8  
I've ben using my Weber Spirit 700 (forerunner to Genesis) since '98, and other than replacing the regulator and flavorizer bars it has out lived several of my friends grills. Replacement parts are easy to get if you need them.

/ Gas grill opinions
In fact, it is still working great....as a charcoal grill!

Chuck

Thanks for sharing that.:) Exactly the kind of experience I want to avoid.

/ Gas grill opinions
you need to buy at end of season to get the best deals,:thumbsup:

Usually that would be my plan, need to replace the burner now on the existing grill.