Gas powered water pump questions

/ Gas powered water pump questions #31  
My irrigation system is still operational - I just don't have a use for it anymore. I have 2" plastic pipe coming up from the two Hp pump down at the lake. This 2" main line crosses all the lawns around the house. There are several 1 1/4" spur lines off the main line. I would lay out all the sprinklers - usually 10 to 12 Rainbirds - then turn on the pump.

It didn't take long to realize that the Rainbird worked well but was woefully inefficient. The water droplets almost dried out in our hot summer weather before hitting the ground.

I bought ten - 50 foot lengths of ultra cheap garden hose. Turned them all into drip irrigation. Cut shallow slits from the faucets out to the fruit trees. Poked the garden hoses into the slits. Made a noticeable difference. Didn't need to water every day.

This is my water supply. Ten acres in total. Five acres - 80 feet deep. Five acres of cattails on the far end - 15 up to 3 feet deep. View off my front porch. Massive springs on the near end - outflow into the big lake down at the far end beyond the cattails. Big lake is out of sight to the left beyond the cattails on the far end.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Gas powered water pump questions #32  
Normally you could trench that 500 feet in a single day, but if the ground is hard, it may require a 2-day rental on the trench machine. Going with 2" is best. I just did 1250' of 2" continous line at 18" depth (freeze depth in Texas) and so it all went very smoothly. Water in at 75psi at one end and flow out at 65psi the other end. I use hydrants connected to the 2" line, which make using the normal 1/2" garden hoses easy on gardening.

If you want to defer trenching for awhile, just lay the 2" line on the surface until you are ready to trench later in the year. Just keep vehicles away from the 2" line if you do a temporary lay down on the surface.

/ Gas powered water pump questions #33  
Normally you could trench that 500 feet in a single day, but if the ground is hard, it may require a 2-day rental on the trench machine. Going with 2" is best. I just did 1250' of 2" continous line at 18" depth (freeze depth in Texas) and so it all went very smoothly. Water in at 75psi at one end and flow out at 65psi the other end. I use hydrants connected to the 2" line, which make using the normal 1/2" garden hoses easy on gardening.

If you want to defer trenching for awhile, just lay the 2" line on the surface until you are ready to trench later in the year. Just keep vehicles away from the 2" line if you do a temporary lay down on the surface.

You’d have to have a slouch of a trencher to not get 500 feet in one day. My ride on could do that in 2 hours at 2’ deep. The ground being like concrete really doesn’t make any difference. Roots and rocks are the biggest delay. I assume it’s cleared so roots wouldn’t be much problem. Rocks, that’s anybody’s guess.