Gas Spill Odor Removal

/ Gas Spill Odor Removal #1  

Surshot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4x4
Thought some here might be interested in how I removed the odor of 4 gallons of gasoline from my 3 car garage. First off the gas came from my Generac generator stored in the garage when a little fuel line connecting the cut off valve to the gas tank seperated during the night. I had no idea the little short rubber line was even present. Anyway, I awoke to a house full of gas odor and a floor with a stain about 4 ft wide by 8-9 feet long, fully absorbed. Forget dry absorbents, it was dry.

I tried, Clorox, nope, Clorox Cleaner, nope, Simple Green, nope, Go-Jo, nope then Blue Stuff, a powerful base degreaser sold at Sam's, nope. So I started looking around the garage itself and found on my boat shelf, a small amount of Bilge Cleaner in a plastic bottle. Hum, I thought, if that cleans up bilge spills and disolves the oil and gas, might it just remove the gas from the concrete? Would not hurt to try it. I poured the liquid on part of the stain, scrubbed it in with a long handle brush and left it, Walah, when it dried no odor above that small area. I then went to West Marine and bought a gallon jug, poured it full strength on the entire stain, scrubbed it in and set up a fan to blow across it, out the doors, for two day until dry.

In two days there was only a very slight odor left. I could close the doors and leave them closed. The plus side was that it killed the odor without my having to remove the 20 years of contents of the garage, one more time, and I did not have to wet the inside of the garage one more time.:thumbsup:
Ed

/ Gas Spill Odor Removal #2  
Great info, thanks for sharing!

/ Gas Spill Odor Removal #3  
Cool! Funny how you found that out. Wonder if it works o gear oil spills??

/ Gas Spill Odor Removal #4  
I have use an ozone machine and gone in a few hours. Diesel fuel about 10 hours in a whole house tank removal (some spilled on the 275g tank).