Gas Tank Location

/ Gas Tank Location #1  

Geotech

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501,
The topic of the gas tank location came up in another thread and I was curious what y'all's experience has been. Most of the newer tractors have tanks on the back. Kubota L Series still has it under the hood. So does Deere in most of their small tractors. I feel like under the hood is a little more hassle for filling, but it seems like there are advantages to having the tank tucked out of the way with fuel lines no longer than necessary. What has been your experience?

/ Gas Tank Location #2  
My late 70's IH2500b had the tanks on the sides under the rear fenders and over/behind the rear axle. It kept the filling away from the engine compartment, the fuel sediment bowl and fuel shutoff valves were easily accessible under the right tank, and it added ballast over the rear axle as well. Granted, it was only 20 gallons, so a tad over 125#, however, everything counts when it all adds up. Add the weight of probably 30# per tank, and you're looking at an additional 185# over the rear axle with full tanks.

/ Gas Tank Location #3  
I don't have any experience other than observations while shopping, but I do have a preference. Most/all of the Korean made tractors have the same tank assembly on the left under the step up. That contributes to center of gravity. All of the 3 series JD's have the tank high up behind the seat. Orange is under the hood on small tractors whereas the Grand L's are low and to the right. I personally like the low tanks for COG and filling convenience. Some are scared of damage so if heavy off-road is an issue, then you need a different tractor or make a guard for the tank.

/ Gas Tank Location #4  
I am seventy-one years old. I am more secure standing on the ground when fueling through the waist high filler on my L3560 than I was fueling my B3300SU standing in the operators station and pouring diesel into the filler from above.
Balance is not so great these days and have to consider posaability of a fall when handling five gallon fuel cans.

I work in jungle. The underside of my tractor is armored with nine gauge expanded steel screen.

The L3560 and its heavier Grand L siblings are about five inches higher to the top of the ROPS with the fuel tank under the tractor, relative to the similar weight MX series. MX will fit in an 84" entry garage with ROPS folded, Grand L probably will not.

Last edited:
   / Gas Tank Location #5  
The fuel fill on my M6040 is right behind the seat - fuel tank is under the floor boards on left hand side. I find it to be a GENUINE PITA to lift a full five gallon Jerry can and fill the tractor.

However - I have yet to find some other means(small pump, etc) that looks to be much better.

It won't be much longer and I will HAVE to find some alternate - those full Jerry cans are not getting any lighter.

I have not yet fallen doing anything with the tractor but my annual spring thinning of my pines. I don't feel like I'm doing anything if I don't trip on a downed small pine and fall - some years two or three times. Falling "correctly" is an art - I'm an artist at falling.

/ Gas Tank Location #6  
My 20-year-old JD 870 has the fuel tank mounted crossways behind the seat, with the filler near the right fender. Using 6-gallon plastic fuel cans I can lift them up and rest them sideways on the fender until they are nearly empty, then turn them up to empty out. At least I could last week when I was 76 -- hope I can still now. <g>

The one issue with this mounting is the outlet is way over on the right side of the tank. So when the tractor is on a sidehill (always on my property) with the left side low it runs out of fuel at about a third of a tank.

/ Gas Tank Location #7  
The M62 is accessed through the hood, over the engine. My solution is going to be to get a 50-100 gal pump onsite so I don't have to lift anything. I will build a wood reinforced pallet and mount the tank on it. Put it in the truck and run to the station when I need to fill it up. I do like the tank far away from the underbelly. Lots of wood pieces around my place to puncture a tank mounted closer to the ground. As it stands the underside of the M62 is pretty well protected. No hoses anywhere that I saw. I want to keep it that way!

/ Gas Tank Location #8  
I have had them high and low. A lot easier to have them low. Don't have to lift as high. On my dozer it is high and on the back. I back my pickup with the tail gate down. Standing on the tail gate, I can fill it up without having to lift too much. On my ISEKI, it is to the back of the engine, fill on top. I have to lift it up and hold it. But it only holds 10 gallons, I only put 5 in at a time, as it will run all day on that. I don't clear brush with my tractor, that is what a dozer is for. No flats on it.

/ Gas Tank Location #9  
My previous L3410 had the tank under the hood, with a door to access. It was not easy to fuel with cans, which is when I switched to a transfer tank with Fill-Rite pump and auto shutoff nozzle.
The L4060 tank is under the floorboard, with the filler neck at waist level. Very easy to fill, plus the weight is lower.

/ Gas Tank Location #10  
The fuel fill on my M6040 is right behind the seat - fuel tank is under the floor boards on left hand side. I find it to be a GENUINE PITA to lift a full five gallon Jerry can and fill the tractor.

However - I have yet to find some other means(small pump, etc) that looks to be much better.

It won't be much longer and I will HAVE to find some alternate - those full Jerry cans are not getting any lighter.

I have not yet fallen doing anything with the tractor but my annual spring thinning of my pines. I don't feel like I'm doing anything if I don't trip on a downed small pine and fall - some years two or three times. Falling "correctly" is an art - I'm an artist at falling.

Have you tried a "shaker" siphon hose?Google Express

They are a little slow, but easier than standing there holding the can. I started using one after my high tech, fancy spill proof environmentally friendly plastic spout folded up spilljng fuel all ovef the place as it couldn't handle the weight of the five gallons of diesel in the can.