gas tank rusty on inside

/ gas tank rusty on inside #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi guys, need some help on what to do with the gas tank on my JD 112L lawn tractor. Tank looks to be rusty on the inside and this is getting me rust flakes in the fuel filter.
Is there some way to coat (epoxy?) or clean the inside of the tank.
I can see why the new ones have plastic instead of steel tanks.
george

/ gas tank rusty on inside #2  
There are several epoxies that work to coat the inside of the tank. I found one here
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.caswellplating.com>http://www.caswellplating.com</A> Look under epoxy gas tank sealer--
PROD GTS1750 Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer
1 pint $27.50

/ gas tank rusty on inside #3  
It might be easier just to order a new plastic gas tank...

/ gas tank rusty on inside #4  
Check a motorcycle shop that does custom work. Or get a catalog for custom aftermarket parts. There's a product called Kreem for coating inside tanks. Alot of shops that do custom paint will put this in new tanks to prevent fuel bleed thru. I put it in my Harleys tanks many years ago and it's still holding up. Just dump it in, slosh it around and let it dry.

/ gas tank rusty on inside #5  
George,
I use muratic acid to clean out the steel gas tanks.
Take the tank off, make sure it is empty, dump in a quart of the muratic acid folks use for cleaning bricks, and then swirl it around. After you have finished rinse it out well with water.
While you are doing the above make sure you do not breath the fumes.
I also use the muratic acid for cleaning aluminum connecting rod deposits off from crankshafts when someone tries to wean their small engines off oil.

/ gas tank rusty on inside #6  
One time I had a motorcycle with a rusty tank. I went to a friends auto electric shop and borrowed a couple hands full of pellets (not sure if that is what they are called) out of his parts tumbler. I put them in the tank along with about a quart of cleaning fluid. I then jacked up the rear of my riding mower and strapped the tank to one of the rear tires. Let it run for a while in gear and it cleaned up real well.