Gator XUV 850D controls

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #1  

chipsndust

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R, Curtis cab
I plan to find a dealer with one in stock, but until then, maybe you guys can help me out with the controls design.
Can someone tell me what the foot controls are like on the diesel Gator?
Is there a separate forward and reverse pedal? One brake pedal?
Can you disengage the front drivetrain? - Do you shift in and out of 4-wheel drive with a floor pedal, lever, pushbutton?
I can't find this level of detail in the on-line data.
Thanks, Wayne

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #2  
Accelerator and brake are the only pedals.
Normally in 2wd, 4wd selectable via button on dash.
Gears are Forward high, forward low and reverse low,
selectable on one lever between seats.
Rear differential selectable with a lever also between seats.
You must be completely stopped before either of these levers are moved.
In 2wd, it has an amazingly tight turning circle which is great,
and also leaves it very manoeuvrable for reversing with a trailer attached.
That's it!

/ Gator XUV 850D controls
Thanks, Donegal
Looking forward to checking one out "live".

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #4  
Here is the complete owners manual for a diesel XUV for the USA market with a recent serial number. You can start drooling now. On the left side of the pop up box, there will be a list of subjects. Click on each one to see those pages of the manual. The paper version is about 1/2" thick. There will be full pictures of the dash and every other inch of the gator.

OMM157858_L7

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #5  
did they change something on the xuv because you can lock and unlock the rearend on the go and you can also put it in 4x4 on the go to on my 04 hpx that is.

Donegal TDI said:
Accelerator and brake are the only pedals.
Normally in 2wd, 4wd selectable via button on dash.
Gears are Forward high, forward low and reverse low,
selectable on one lever between seats.
Rear differential selectable with a lever also between seats.
You must be completely stopped before either of these levers are moved.
In 2wd, it has an amazingly tight turning circle which is great,
and also leaves it very manoeuvrable for reversing with a trailer attached.
That's it!

/ Gator XUV 850D controls
Lewis:
Thanks - that link went into my Favorites - and you're right, I'm droolin'

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #7  
I have the XUV. It is normally in one wheel drive with one rear wheel having power. I use this mode 90 percent of the time because it is easy on the turf and easy to steer.

Two wheel drive is accomplished by engaging the differential lock which is a lever between the seats, this can be done on the go. You now have two wheel drive via a posi-track rear end but steering is now a little more difficult.

You can make it three wheel drive also. To make it three wheel you have to have a single rear wheel engaged (normal position with the posi-track off) and activate the electric toggle switch on the dash. This can be done on the go also as long as your wheels are not slipping. This engages the front wheel drive with both front wheels having power. You now have two front wheels engaged a one rear wheel engaged, three wheel drive.

If you want the true four wheel drive you must engage both the front wheel toggle switch, to have both front wheels pulling, and activate the rear differential posi-track lever to engage both rear wheels. Now all four wheels are engaged and pulling.

If I anticipate needed pulling traction I generally press the toggle switch on the run an activate only the front wheels, that is all I need most of the time. Engaging the rear differential is mechanical and activating the front wheels only takes a flip of the switch which is more user friendly.

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #8  
TOMMYHPX4X4 said:
did they change something on the xuv because you can lock and unlock the rearend on the go and you can also put it in 4x4 on the go to on my 04 hpx that is.

The danger comes if you try to engage the differential lock on the go, while one wheel is spinning, the shock load could break something.
This goes for all agricultural machinery.
To avoid braking the rear differential,
Engage it before you need while driving straight on good ground,
or, if in doubt, stop and engage it.

/ Gator XUV 850D controls #9  
i wouldn't be locking up the rearend while spinning the tires we are talking about locking them up on the go not locking them up while spinning in a mud hole.that is two diferent things.